Talk

Advanced search

How can I create a carol service that explores modern issues? Any ideas?

(23 Posts)
GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:06:22

Is this even possible?

SMT want a global current dimension to our Christmas carol service.

I honestly have no idea how to do this or what it means even!

I'm the poor sod that does the Christmas service as Y4 have nothing else to do!!!!

Any ideas?

wannabestressfree Wed 18-Nov-15 21:10:30

Unity in light of what has happened? An exploration of others faiths and traditions?.... New songs and each class has a country?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 18-Nov-15 21:12:27

Could you have some of the children do a prayer at the end with each one having a line about somewhere?

Or some kind of visual display about troubled spots in the world and candles for people to light or a collection tin?

GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:12:52

I think this might be the sort of thing they are looking for but I'm struggling to link it to Christmas!

confused

annandale Wed 18-Nov-15 21:13:00

Well, people leaving their homes in respond to oppressive government requirements and finding there is no place to stay, followed by the family becoming refugees as they feared for their lives...

Leviticus Wed 18-Nov-15 21:13:25

Needy travellers turned away because there is 'no room' is pretty topical.

Plus there are loads of carols you could choose to fit with a theme of our desperate wish for peace.

GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:14:36

As in all of the music we have in school for Christmas is Christmas music and doesn't lend itself to other faiths or the wider world really.

I'm so stuck

RiverTam Wed 18-Nov-15 21:14:43

I saw something today thst someone had posted on Twitter in response to Ripert Murdich's charming comments about borders only bring open to proven Christians. There's s bit in I think the gospel if Matthew discussing what it is to be a follower of jesus and jesus lists a few things including something about looking after strangers in your country, ie refugees (like the Israelites were in Egypt). So maybe something about looking after newcomers to our country, those fleeing wars and so on? Would that be any good?

GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:15:16

Cross post...

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Wed 18-Nov-15 21:18:12

It's not Christmassy as such but When I needed a neighbour would be topical.

bsmirched Wed 18-Nov-15 21:18:32

Our fab vicar has written ours with refugees and a modern Mary and Joseph but as all the characters take their place in the tableau they wear a traditional item of clothing eg a blue cloak for Mary etc.

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:20:25

Id say that's fairly easy - pick the theme of refugees and migrants, and tell the Christmas story with an emphasis on Joseph and Mary as migrants, with no home, then fleeing to Egypt from Herod's soldiers. Not too much to scare the younger children, but enough for older children to think about what It might be like.

Little Donkey for one of the carols, with child reading out the verses in between them being sung.

Prayers for all those having winter in a strange country, and for all parents who want to keep their children safe in a scary world.

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:21:51

I know it's not a carol, but how about singing 'when I needed a neighbour, were you there?'

GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:21:54

bsmirched that sounds interesting; any chance of having a look?

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:22:16

Oops, cross post!

GlitteringJasper Wed 18-Nov-15 21:22:42

I'm starting to see how I could do this...

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:25:22

Could you have a slideshow during a carol showing refugees today (or even a mix of refugees today, in the Second World War, in Bosnia, etc) that parallel Mary, Joseph and the baby?

RiverTam Wed 18-Nov-15 21:35:09

You could have the Coventry Carol, a beautiful Carol which is about the flight into Egypt. Though actually it's mainly about the slaughter of the children of Israel which might be a bit much of a downer?

Want2bSupermum Wed 18-Nov-15 21:35:42

I do think you need to extract certain themes and highlight them. As said previously, Mary and Joseph can be refugees and how the inn keeper doesn't have a room but makes space for them regardless so they have a dry place to rest their head. The 3 kings bearing gifts could be extrapolated too. I would then include King Herod if you want to go into the grounds of terrorism.

King Herod was King of Judea. His history is quite colorful. I'm sure the bloody thirsty kids would be fascinated by his history. He had 9 wives and was quite the tyrant. He made Henry 8th look tame.

Want2bSupermum Wed 18-Nov-15 21:39:08

Also what I find fascinating about the bible is that it is still relevant today because we face pretty much the same issues. While lots has changed in terms of lifestyle, but the fundamental issues have not. The issue is taking the stories and giving modern day examples to highlight that actually the problems we face today have not changed that much in over 2000 years.

RiverTam Wed 18-Nov-15 21:45:56

Mary and Joseph weren't refugees in Bethlehem, though, were they? Obviously they were when the fled to Egypt.

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:51:46

Yes, so you'd need to cover refugees AND migrants, I think

Migrants for census purposes...

Silverstones Wed 18-Nov-15 21:54:00

Or how about a more radical approach, and choose the theme of isolated old age with Simeon and Anna popping their clogs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now