Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Retraining as Home Economics Teacher

(11 Posts)
iwannadancewithsomebody Wed 18-Nov-15 11:36:16

I quite fancy doing this.

I don't have a degree so would need to give up work and completely retrain, which I'm prepared to do.

I enjoy the whole aspect of the subject. I am approaching 33, have two small children, one at school the other next year.

I have read so many horror stories about teaching along with some positive ones. Is it really that bad? Is it a rewarding career? I know it's not all long holidays etc

BrianButterfield Wed 18-Nov-15 11:47:03

Home Economics isn't a subject any more as far as I know, it's Food Technology (although I rarely venture into the DT area). I would be very very wary of giving up a job and doing a degree in an option subject such as Food. In four or five years schools may not even be teaching it any more, the way things are going.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 18-Nov-15 12:07:09

Our DT Food teachers also cover textiles, and one covers resistant materials too.
DT Food at GCSE is currently aimed at product development and has nothing to with the old Home Economics. Last year's GCSE project was Great British Bake Off, which meant endless cake creations, or something to do with a savoury bakery product which none of them chose.
Lower down the school the kids look more at nutrition so have to make soups and snacks, but ultimately there's not much you can do with a group when you only have them for a block of 6 weeks per year as they do each DT subject in rotation.
But, if you want to go for it, you'll need a degree in a relevant subject plus a PGCE, or a BEd with a relevant subject area.

Seabiscotti Wed 18-Nov-15 12:18:57

I wouldn't do it for the reasons given by previous posters.

Have you thought about setting up a business that offers cookery classes etc to children/ adults.

iwannadancewithsomebody Wed 18-Nov-15 13:58:36

Thanks all, I should point out that I'm in Scotland and it does seem to still be a subject here. And it does include nutrition and textiles.

Not sure about cookery courses as I'm not a master chef! I do enjoy it but not clued up enough.

Will carry on doing some research..

StBosco Wed 18-Nov-15 18:02:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 18-Nov-15 18:08:53

I was going to suggest volunteering. Try before you buy.

iwannadancewithsomebody Wed 18-Nov-15 19:20:17

Good idea, I will see if I can volunteer at a local school

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 18-Nov-15 19:50:45

make sure that you check out the relevant exam specifications as they all change from next year.

fuckweasel Wed 18-Nov-15 20:04:18

Exam specifications have already changed in Scotland. All schools are now teaching the new specifications for exam subjects.

leccybill Wed 18-Nov-15 21:48:51

Look out for DT Technician posts - this would be a good thing to do for a year to support and see the real working life of a teacher.
Our Food teachers teach BTEC Health and Social Care too, think this arrangement is quite common, regardless of qualifications.

Spend a week watching 30 kids squirting washing up liquid at each other, splatting mixture on the floor, picking their noses and then putting hands in the mixing bowl, and forgetting to use oven gloves and you might just change your mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now