Talk

Advanced search

TESOL/ELT chat thread

(3 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 16-Nov-15 11:47:02

Anyone there in the woodwork? I know there are a few of you around and I thought it might be fun to have a kind of international staffroom thread.

I've been teaching just over 2 years and I'm in Germany smile What about everyone else?

I'll kick off with a question - I'm looking to move away from doing silent, individual paper-based activities in the classroom and shift them more to homework, with more active participation in the actual class itself. I don't mind if it's me getting up and doing stuff or the students, but sitting there and waiting while they fill in a worksheet makes me want to fall asleep. I'm finding this okay with any classes of A2 and up but really struggling with my beginners. The school I work in has tiny classes with a maximum of 6 students, and my current beginner classes are a one to one and then a group of 3, although normally at least one of them doesn't show up every week. The group class is easier, aside from having to plan three different lessons hmm, the one to one is slow, slow torture.

fatowl Mon 16-Nov-15 14:53:33

I'll join in
I teach ESL and English lit at a tiny private school in Malaysia. (only 140 on role- Early years to Y11)

I've just started my 3rd academic year there.

I teach upper primary and lower secondary English lit, which is nice as I get to choose my books, we work on some vocab, some discussion etc. I'm doing Harry Potter with my Y8s , Holes with Y7 and Dahl and Michael Morpurgo with the younger ones.
I also have a Y9 English language class this year, who are quite challenging- they have mainly come from a very very traditional chinese school background. They will hardly speak in class, so getting any kind of discussion going is tough.

BertieBotts Tue 17-Nov-15 16:34:02

Hello fatowl smile

I teach mostly adults but the school I work at does run some after-school classes for children. They are mostly at the times that I have DS so I can't teach then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now