Talk

Advanced search

maternity leave + benefits

(3 Posts)
justjodie92 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:08:54

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm completely clueless and am getting stressed and worried.

I've been a full-time teacher for 10 years, annual salary of around £30,000.

I had a baby in May, he's just turned 6 months old. I'm a single parent. My money has now dropped to SMP only, which is around £585 a month. I filled in the loooong form to claim tax credits but they said I'm not eligible as my wages from last year were too high. I tried calling them to explain my circumstances had changed, but it didn't make any difference.

In January my money will drop to morning when the statutory maternity payments end. I'm due back to work at Easter.

I'm struggling to afford my rent, bills etc on £585 a month. My savings are nearly all gone. Would I be eligible for housing benefit? Working tax credit? Income support? Anything??

I had IVF to have my son, so there is no other person to contribute (maintenance etc)

Thank you for reading.

cleoteacher Mon 09-Nov-15 22:13:11

I am not sure but maybe you need up think about going back to work early rather than taking a year off. I couldn't afford to no SMP after ds, I am also a teacher, so had to go back after 9 months. I cried a lot and didn't want to but needs must.

ATruthUniversallyAcknowledged Tue 10-Nov-15 21:37:09

I'm sorry but I agree with cleo. Almost every teacher I know has gone back when their baby was around eight months. It won't be as bad as you expect. Just think of the hot brew...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: