Talk

Advanced search

want to resign - advice

(12 Posts)
chocolateorange88 Sun 08-Nov-15 16:48:08

I have started a new job this term and have decided it's not for me. I work part time and staff including head teacher have made it clear my face doesn't fit. There are all sorts of reasons I could go into but ultimately what it boils down to is I'm not right for the school and the school isn't right for me. I was going to stick it out for the year but I have been threatened with formal capability if my performance doesn't improve by a certain date (basically they want me to teach in a very specific way that is consistent throughout the school which just doesn't work for me). My job share partner is leaving after Xmas and I'm tempted to see if I give in my notice now whether it will be accepted in time for Xmas. I'm unhappy and just want out, I'm like the black sheep in the staff room, no one talks to me! I do supply teaching on the side which I love and would be happy to do that . Has anyone got advice? Would my notice be accepted now even tho the date has passed?
P.s. never had an issue with teaching performance or staff relationships in other schools.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, i am having to use phone and feeling stressed.

padkin Sun 08-Nov-15 16:59:04

I'm sorry the job's turned out like this. It must be horrible, and I think you're right to get out as soon as possible. Obviously you've missed the resignation date to officially leave at Christmas, but if you make the request now it's certainly possible - it would be at the head's discretion.

Have they advertised or appointed for your job share's position? Because if they haven't yet, then that makes things easier. They could recruit a full time post.

Think about your reference, though. I think you'll have to put this post on job applications in the future, so you'll need to discuss a reference with the Head.

Good luck!

chocolateorange88 Sun 08-Nov-15 17:03:35

They have advertised but the closing date isn't until the end of next week. How do you go about discussing a reference? I've never been in this position before and as soon as I enter the school building my confidence drops to nothing, which I know will make it harder.

Maisycat Mon 09-Nov-15 09:05:00

Contact your Union and ask them to help regarding ending your contract early and references.

chocolateorange88 Mon 09-Nov-15 16:14:01

Today has been awful the stress of working somewhere I'm unhappy and feel under scrutiny has for the past few weeks given me a bad back which starts Sunday night and lasts till I finish for the week. I know it is just stress causing it but today it has been unbareable. Getting observed tomorrow, just been told today, and have been asked for workbooks in less than a week after they have told me to improve my marking, I've only taught two days since then, I haven't had time! I want out, I want to walk away tonight and never come back but I know I can't. And this is supposedly a good school. Feel so crap. Want to go home and have a cuddle with my child but have so much to do and I know they will still think I'm crap.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Mon 09-Nov-15 17:00:27

I taught in a school like that last year, FT. If you have supply work lined up you have nothing to lose by asking. I would be tempted to mention the stress related pain you're having - they may be more inclined to let you go if there's potential for long term sickness as the alternative.

catfordbetty Mon 09-Nov-15 17:57:13

Yes, ask. Do not refer to the possibility of capability proceedings or your stress-related illness or your general unhappiness with the school. Instead emphasise your wish to have the sort of flexibility and variety that supply provides - very plausible because you already have experience of this. You may find that your Head is happy for you to jump. If s/he mentions the current situation be non-committal - perhaps acknowledge that you have not been the best fit for the school or the school for you. Your aim should be to present yourself as someone who is making an independent, positive choice rather than someone being bullied out. If your request is successful, your (brief) letter of resignation should also be along these lines. Finally, if it does get to capability, contact your union area officer straight away - do not speak to your school rep.

chocolateorange88 Mon 09-Nov-15 18:28:45

Ok really good advice thank you everyone. What is my next step if the head refuses? I know she wants me out but I'm not sure if she will want to make a point for the sake of it.

ConesOfDunshire Mon 09-Nov-15 20:00:38

She can't refuse to accept your resignation, although she can insist that you work your notice until Easter. It sounds like you'll be able to come to a mutually agreeable date, though.

chocolateorange88 Mon 09-Nov-15 20:10:24

Ok thanks for the advice. I am going to speak to her tomorrow. Just want it done and to build my confidence up again. Has anyone been in this position and how did it work out for you?

thatone Mon 09-Nov-15 20:32:07

I was in a similar position a few years ago, was desperate to leave ASAP but Head wanted me to see out my notice period. I left mid-year (Easter). I was not at all a good fit at the school - well actually the school itself was OK but my team was very difficult.

My new school were not at all concerned that I had not seen out the year and it really is a much better fit for me. They did not even really ask about it at the interview. Head must have given me an OK reference though.

GinandJag Tue 10-Nov-15 19:36:25

How did the meeting go, CO?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: