Talk

Advanced search

I left teaching and became a .....

(17 Posts)
IguanaTail Sun 25-Oct-15 08:41:19

And are you pleased you did? Any regrets?

ilovesooty Tue 27-Oct-15 02:13:15

Education Training and Employment Coordinator in substance misuse services.
Self employed counsellor.

No regrets whatsoever. I love my job.

redgoat Sat 31-Oct-15 08:54:03

That sounds really interesting. I want to do something else but not sure what else I can do as all I've ever done is teach.

timelytess Sat 31-Oct-15 08:58:09

Prematurely retired layabout. And happy.

redgoat Sat 31-Oct-15 09:15:09

I'm only 38 so I don't think that's an option for me! wink

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sat 31-Oct-15 09:21:47

DSis became a vicar, but that's a bit niche smile. Two friends left and became Educational Psychologists. Another did several years coordinating nursery provision for a council but has recently gone back to supply. My old boss was a teacher, then managed Education services for local authority and is now in charge of Troubled Families. A neighbour used to teach and is now a homeopath (again niche).

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sat 31-Oct-15 09:23:40

I'm in social care by the way, and lots of youth jobs, especially those with vulnerable or challenging young people say qualifications in social work or teaching. Would that sort of work interest you - youth offending, family support, parenting work etc?

redgoat Sat 31-Oct-15 09:26:44

They all sound really interesting. I am very much a people person and really believe in education so I'll look into all of those. Thank you. It's the over-accountability that's wearing me down and it's not going to get better.

leccybill Sun 01-Nov-15 23:51:01

...supply teacher and private tutor. Absolutely loving it so far, new lease of life!

RockCrushesLizard Mon 02-Nov-15 00:08:20

Breastfeeding counsellor. Though it's not a bill paying proposition.

Dixiechick1991 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:14:32

I previously worked in a private nursery - has anyone ever left teaching to work in nursery or know of anyone who has? It seems like it's always done the other way round nursery -> teacher

JenniferYellowHat1980 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:59:08

I need to find a career that's going to pay long term, and earn substantially more than NMW from the outset. I'm considering HR/L&D. There's a tech company that's expanding significantly nearby, and though I'm not in a position to apply yet, I've been in touch and have been asked to send my CV.

I do hate the long notice period required by teachers. It means I'm committed until Easter, yet still have to give my notice in by February. Grr!

Nearlycaughtawoozle Mon 02-Nov-15 22:03:48

Full time MA student, PT tutor and supply teacher - poorer but happier!

giraffesCantDoThat Mon 02-Nov-15 22:04:42

Play therapist

noblegiraffe Tue 03-Nov-15 07:43:37

One of my friends became a TA, another a consultant for an academy chain (like the old LEA consultants) and another makes a decent living doing maths tutoring, including intervention work in schools.

Kampeki Tue 03-Nov-15 07:47:47

I do hate the long notice period required by teachers. It means I'm committed until Easter, yet still have to give my notice in by February. Grr!

Be warned - that's the same in lots of jobs. My current job (like my last one) requires that I give 3 months notice, so if I told them I was going in Feb, I'd be tied in until May. Easter sounds quite reasonable!!

derxa Tue 03-Nov-15 11:12:39

farmer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now