Talk

Advanced search

Sexism and stereotype thread in Y4, please help

(124 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Wed 14-Oct-15 20:41:57

Wow. I'd approach the Head. He has lower expectations of anyone with a vagina?!
WTF?
He should (as I'm sure you know) be looking at ways to build her confidence rather than assuming it's because she's a girl.

SilverGiraffe7 Wed 14-Oct-15 20:48:21

Definitely talk to the Head - he will be subtly influencing the class with that attitude and it's a damaging one. (I really REALLY hope the Headteacher is female. Either way he should get his arse handed to him on a plate)

russetbella1000 Fri 16-Oct-15 00:02:47

Definitely bring this up with head teacher. Subtle and not so subtle sexism is rife in schools..From the awful texts in the book corner to general stereotyping overheard in the staff room, it's one of the reasons I finally had to leave...Too much gendered stereotyping is left unchallenged and dodgy ideas are reinforced to become 'truths'.

noblegiraffe Sat 17-Oct-15 14:46:49

The pass rate for maths GCSE for boys and girls is almost equal. Boys do slightly better at the top grades.

Girls beat boys in every other subject, including science, including physics.

See for yourself: www.bstubbs.co.uk/natfig.htm

So his prejudice is based on bollocks and he needs to be told.

noblegiraffe Sat 17-Oct-15 15:03:56

Wonder whether the teacher would have felt as comfortable saying 'boys just aren't as good at reading as girls'.

noblegiraffe Sat 17-Oct-15 15:33:45

Tbh, I think it would be better coming from a concerned but unusually well informed parent, rather than an academic. That might get their backs up a bit.

The head may well (secretly) agree with the teacher, btw. That opinion is not unusual in education. I'm a secondary maths teacher and I know some colleagues think there's no issue with girls being turned off maths and dropping it after GCSE.

noblegiraffe Sat 17-Oct-15 16:23:45

I think success will depend on whether the head actually agrees it's a problem. If he looks (look at me assuming the head is male) horrified it should be easy. If he tries to tell you that girls do tend to do worse at maths then you've got a fight on your hands.

Micah Sat 17-Oct-15 16:30:00

Oh lord. I'd be tempted to totally overreact and threaten to take my child to a school which won't discriminate against her.

If the head sides with the teacher, is ofsted or the governors an option?

I really hate that this casual sexism is treated as fact. I'd take a whole load of key academic papers and a bibliography for the head and the teacher to read.

Fwiw both my dd's are well above average in maths, and only average in literacy. So he can shove his stereotype up his arse.

ArmchairTraveller Sat 17-Oct-15 16:33:41

Ask the head whether they analyse data on maths and English that indicates imbalance in performance between various cohorts of students : EAL, Autumn/Summerborn. Gender.
Many primaries do, specifically to work out why those imbalances are occurring and what the school can then do to address the problem.
If his females are underperforming in maths, what are they doing about identifying the root causes and then acting to improve things.
Because I'd be worried at such an archaic attitude by a teacher of either gender, and it turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

ArmchairTraveller Sat 17-Oct-15 16:43:31

This school has got it's act together, I've seen it in action.
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/393361/Westdene_20Primary_20School_20-_20Good_20practice_20example.pdf

ArmchairTraveller Sat 17-Oct-15 16:44:10

Ahhhh!
Stray apostrophe alert! grin

Lurkedforever1 Sat 17-Oct-15 16:54:39

Fuck me did I fall into 1950?
I couldn't tell you the name of the report but I'm positive there is one floating around somewhere that found when girls do less well than boys it is when it's assumed they won't. It was also tied in to why in single sex schools, on average girls tend to be equal with boys at maths because there's no assumption they won't.
Make sure you record him sharing his sexist opinions. I'd also have a quick check over the female governors and see if there is one who'd back you.

noblegiraffe Sat 17-Oct-15 17:31:14

This teacher needs educating, sure. But an official complaint? The governors? Ofsted? I sincerely hope you're thinking much further down the line and evidence of a systemic problem rather than a throwaway remark before you take that route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now