Talk

Advanced search

Any primary assessment co-ordinators around?

(3 Posts)
captainflash Tue 06-Oct-15 21:27:56

Grateful for any help as I am procrastinating as always! My school is currently internally advertising for an assessment co-ordinator on a Tlr 2a. I know I can do this job. I've been teaching for around 12 years, experience in KS1 and KS2, have experience in administering both sets of SATS and am well aware of the changes for this coming academic year. I am in Year 6 again and have previously worked with moderating teams in writing and in reading. My judgements are highly regarded and I know I have the skills and organisational capacity to do this.

Why am I dithering? I need / want to take the next steps in my career and this really gives me a step up and would be a great opportunity for me to progress in a school I love.

I am all to aware of the state of flux we are all in with assessment without levels but I have ideas and drive and the school have made great strides I can build on. I have to write a letter to apply and then go through a short interview. Has anyone got any advice?? Or pointers to read / look at? Or give me any good buzz words to build on. I know my stuff- I just don't know how to phrase it properly!!

partystress Tue 06-Oct-15 21:37:08

I have done it for two years - also while in Year 6. It has given me good insights into the state of assessment, how DfE work (or, more accurately, malfunction) and a good understanding of my school's strengths and weaknesses, how to analyse RAISE, what goes in the SEF etc. So I would say a good platform for a role in leadership.

Against that, I have had to put in a lot of extra hours and haven't really been given sufficient time to do it. I get a TLR, with two extra hours a week out of class, but lead a core subject too and have only managed to get any data analysis done by doing it at weekends. At local meetings of assessment co-ordinators, it has been a bit galling to find the role is almost always done by assistant or deputy heads who don't also have class responsibility.

So my advice would be to get clarity about what is going to be expected of you and when you will be expected to do it. Oh, and make sure you have a good and flexible tracking system. I managed without one for the first year and it was was Excel hell!

captainflash Wed 07-Oct-15 18:36:02

Thank you for the reply. To answer a couple of questions, the job is massive! Other people have looked at it in school and are not even considering it due to the amount of work it'll be. There won't be any additional time unless I really need it and will be expected to do it in my own time.

I feel I do have the capacity to do it. Although I am in year 6, I know what I'm doing there and have the support system at home to get the job done. I'm not some 20 something go getter- I have 2 small people at home too but I have been feeling the desire to step up for a while now. And this role will definitely give me that opportunity, doing things I already do as part of my Year 6 role.
It's definitely food for thought. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now