Disclosing SN as an education professional?

(3 Posts)
Leksa Mon 05-Oct-15 06:47:43

Hi,

I'm delurking to ask this. I've worked as a TA and later HLTA in a state school and one of the requirements of employment was filling out a health questionnaire, which was followed up by a phone call from a third party asking for further details I think to confirm that I was fit for the job? It was many years ago so I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, getting to the point, I'm considering being assessed for ASD. Both I and my therapist strongly suspect I have it, and I'm currently a mature student at university (studying education, with a view to working with primary-aged children in some capacity, not necessarily as a classroom teacher) where having it recognized would be beneficial to me.

But -

- would I be required to disclose any formal diagnosis to the school/organization I wanted to work for?
- if I did, how likely would they be to view this in a very negative light and for it to affect my chances of finding employment?

It's my belief that having differences of my own has been a positive quality when I've been working with children with a variety of SEN. I know that I was good at what I did and my appraisals, comments from managers, etc, reflected that. I'm worried, though, that if I have to disclose it, future employers will see the diagnosis and not give me a chance, even if they can't officially 'discriminate' on that basis.

Any information or opinions from anyone working in education would be welcome!

avocadosarentmiddleclassed Mon 05-Oct-15 22:29:32

I think that's really inspiring and I know that it wouldn't stand in your way if you expressed it in such a positive light as you have here at mu school.
Good luck smile

Leksa Tue 06-Oct-15 19:55:27

Thank you! smile It's lovely to hear a positive response as I've been dithering for a few years while over the idea of formal diagnosis and employment issues are my main worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now