Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave and summer holidays

(11 Posts)
Evianbaby15 Tue 22-Sep-15 17:41:48

Hope someone can help
I'm due in December so will be taking maternity from end of November, this
means that I would come back in the last week of the summer Holidays (if I take the 39weeks paid)
Is this allowed - will clarify with employer obviously but just want to check my options first
Im support staff btw but over a years service.

Maidupmum Tue 22-Sep-15 19:50:46

Yes, you are allowed to name a return date during the school holidays. Would you not consider finishing your maternity leave directly before the school holidays (maybe do 1 or 2 days?) so that you get paid over the break?

cherrypiesally Tue 22-Sep-15 21:21:16

Yes, I finished Dec 10th last Xmas and returned for the last 4 days of term in the summer. My August pay was full pay then. Actually it meant a easy reintroduction to school and I got loads done.

noblegiraffe Tue 22-Sep-15 21:30:37

You can come back the first week of the summer holidays and get full pay for it.

I even came back full time in the summer holidays so got full pay, then went part time in September. It was my school that told me to!

CasualJersey Fri 25-Sep-15 19:52:23

Return to work on the first day of the holidays! Get paid for the summer!
If I was you I'd also do a few KIT days in that last week too. Bumps up you may pay!
Enjoy

EarlyNewDawn Wed 30-Sep-15 08:19:41

Yep. First day of the summer holidays. Be under no illusions - had you given birth on the first day of the summer holiday, your maternity pay would begin from that moment - you would not get your normal pay over the summer.

doobeedee Thu 01-Oct-15 22:32:06

I also "retuned" first day of the hols full time then went to 0.8 from Sept. You're allowed to do it so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Too many people don't realuse this and are never put right!

partialderivative Thu 01-Oct-15 22:50:02

Some years ago I covered a maternity leave.

The mother came back a day before a half term break and got to claim all that week's holiday. Obviously I didn't.

Maybe not a biggie, but the rest of the school thought she was out of order for doing it and did not welcome her back with the open arms as they might have

EarlyNewDawn Fri 02-Oct-15 09:20:27

^read my post above again. I'm sure the school wouldn't have been bothered if the person you covered stared ML on the first day of her holiday having worked all year (they would not pay her over the summer and start her maternity pay in the September). What is it 2 weeks full pay, then 4 at 90% before the pay really drops?

Not great for the cover who doesn't get paid, but that's the downside of maternity cover.

But partial, surely even if she'd come back on the first day after half term you'd still not get paid over the holidays? confused

Op, you can name any Sunday as your return date. If you're definitely going back in september then naming the first Sunday of the summer holidays makes sense. This is what most people do

WombatStewForTea Sat 03-Oct-15 09:14:50

You can come back for the last few days before summer and then get paid over the summer.
That's what happened to me in my nqt year. I'd been offered a full time post once she returned but I didn't get paid over the summer as new contract didn't start until 1st Sept. Bloody annoying but considering doing the same when my time comes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now