Talk

Advanced search

Vertical group activities - ideas?

(10 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 10-Aug-15 18:08:04

I work in a small school (60+ pupils) and I'm thinking of suggesting that we run activities for vertical groups of children for about 45 minutes on a Friday afternoon, to foster a sense of community and cooperation.

I've participated in this as a supply teacher and I thought it was a lovely way of bringing the children together.

I'm envisaging four vertical groups (so a mix of pupils from P1 to P7, about 16 per group), going with a different teacher each week. Each teacher would do a different type of activity, repeated over four weeks until she had had every group.

I thought one teacher could do something sporty in the gym hall, another something arty/crafty.

Anyone got other ideas?

FabulousFudge Mon 10-Aug-15 19:53:20

We used to do something similar - gardening, sewing, board games, parachute, art and craft...

The children loved it and it was perfect for a Friday afternoon!

Euphemia Mon 10-Aug-15 20:43:38

Gardening would be a nice one - we have quite a sheltered area for rainy days.

I fancy teaching children to crochet, but I'm not sure the little ones would manage!

I did a craft class for P6 and P7 at a previous school and most of them couldn't thread wool onto one of those chunky sewing needles! confused

OldRoan Tue 11-Aug-15 09:22:35

Would arm knitting be a simple alternative to crochet?

I was going to suggest board games, or Lego - the older ones can get really on board with how creative the younger ones are and help them to produce what they want to.

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Aug-15 09:23:47

When we did this (but at secondary level) every teacher got to choose their activity.

Euphemia Tue 11-Aug-15 09:28:07

Of course the teachers will choose what they want to offer - I'm just looking for some concrete ideas to go to the HT with.

Board games are good - I did a session recently with P4-7 age group and it was fascinating to see who couldn't cope with turn-taking, losing, etc!

Lego would be great - one of our additional support needs assistants has a fabulous collection that belonged to her sons - it's too good for everyday use, but would be nice for once a week.

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Aug-15 21:12:26

We had all music stuff done in that time. Also card making, archeology, circus skills, sports clubs were done too, strategy games, chess.

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Aug-15 21:13:08

A group working to gain Eco schools status? Fair trade? Young enterprise?

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Aug-15 21:14:28

Letter writing / penpal stuff? Book club?

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 11-Aug-15 21:18:01

Sounds great. I developed a similar idea (in special school - very mixed ages) with the aim of teaching particular communication skills. Students chose their half termly activity from a selection - anything from junk modelling to gardening to parachute games - and all had a couple of communication targets to work on during that activity. Perhaps in mainstream you could have social skills or learning skills targets to cover. Or preferably, you wouldn't need anything like that, as the purpose of the activity is obvious! But for convincing heads/ timetabling and subject coverage maybe you'd need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now