Talk

Advanced search

Intriguing/strange responses to parents surveys (lighthearted)

(8 Posts)
Scissor Sat 01-Aug-15 20:50:26

Apart from the usual too much/not enough homework polar opposites I am just clearing out for summer and found a summary sheet of responses issued to staff (disclaimer has no year on ...definitely not 2015)

So one response would like to know why they weren't consulted on i-pads as they prefer windows. Reasonable in theory but may have required a whole school community referendum as divides opinion as much as the 2 homework camps.

"Leave in the same class with the same teacher throughout school" bit of a Steiner statement this one...many children may love this but there are equally as many who are ready for a bit of a change after 195 days at 5 hours contact = 975 in total...with the same adult... may want a bit of a swap...?

"The school could do with more rooms, less playing field" ??? Maybe the same parent who wants separate rooms for changing for P.E. for year 1.

Disclaimer...the other side of the sheet has all the positive statements and is twice as long...eg "My child is always telling me about the fun activities and what he has learnt" (where's the smug emoticon when you need it!)

Pippidoeswhatshewants Sun 02-Aug-15 16:10:22

Sorry, but this is exactly why I never fill in parent questionnaires. Great if you praise school, eye rolling if you dare to differ in your opinion... why even bother to ask for feedback?

Happy36 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:20:07

I think it´s nice to hear parents´opinions and to let them give feedback anonymously. We can´t always predict what parents think is important, what they love or dislike in particular about their child´s school experience or even areas where they might be confused (e.g. miscommunication between teacher to child to parent - child considers only outdoor P.E. lessons to be P.E. and therefore tells parent they do it once a week, overlooking the 2 indoor lessons, or something like that). Parent feedback is important in order to gauge the general opinion of the parents, to see which comments are being repeated time and time again. Also bear in mind that many parents will never, or only very reluctantly, make a comment directly to the school, so it´s really good to give them an opportunity to give their opinions anonymously. Otherwise the only feedback received is from the minority who are frequently vocal.

sunnydayinmay Tue 04-Aug-15 21:57:04

We had one that asked for a school pony.smile

Happy36 Wed 05-Aug-15 01:50:08

Amazing, sunny. Our school has horses so maybe that parent should consider a switch!

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Aug-15 08:12:45

I once got "I was very disappointed when I asked Miss Scribbler to look after my child until I finished worked that she refused. She should care more about her students and be prepared to do whatever necessary to look after them."

Happy36 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:12:44

Speechless, Scribbler !

Minispringroll Thu 06-Aug-15 19:04:35

I once had someone ask for an alternative indoor activity to be done in future, because it had happened to rain during our OUTDOOR pursuits week. hmm Children had been appropriately dressed and didn't mind getting wet and muddy. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now