Are Our Kids Tough Enough? Chinese School

(7 Posts)
SuffolkNWhat Thu 30-Jul-15 20:07:35

Just seen this advertised for Tuesday BBC2 9pm.

What do we think? 5 teachers from China are teaching 50 English teenagers for a week, tbh I think comparing our two education systems is like comparing apples and pears but I will be watching with interest.

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 31-Jul-15 10:29:13

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a bit cynical about the angle they'll put on it.

SuffolkNWhat Fri 31-Jul-15 12:27:15

Oh I'm fully expecting it to be edited heavily with a bias but perhaps not as much if it was a Channel 4 show.

rezainjapan Mon 10-Aug-15 06:08:15

I teach in Japan. The East Asian and Europe are completely different. The problem with China/Japan is mainly lack of usefulness. For example children/adults have remember lots of information. After the test they forget most of it.
I work at Eikaiwa (English conversation school). Because students learn English by rote, they can't speak or write English!
Juku (cram school) are everywhere. Recently 3 year old students are joining Kumon because the parents are lagging behind.
Going back to the programme. I feel very sorry for the teachers and pupils alike. The pupils don't understand the system. So they act out. Teachers don't understand the pupils. So they get frustrated.
Only a hybrid model joining the Chinese and English style system will work. I am looking forward to watching the other two episodes. I hope both the teachers and pupils can find a middle ground.

hollyoakslover Fri 14-Aug-15 11:45:27

Really enjoying the show grin

toomuchicecream Sat 15-Aug-15 19:22:38

But aren't all the uk teachers young!

Lilydaisysmummy Sun 23-Aug-15 15:00:45

Bit of a late reply, sorry!
I wonder if their point about our benefit system was valid though. If our children didn't think school isn't necessary because they can get a house and benefits etc maybe they would try harder at school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now