Talk

Advanced search

Pgce or school direct?

(14 Posts)
DetectiveLund Tue 28-Jul-15 10:43:51

I want to apply for secondary teacher training - I'm a mature student (pushing 40, yikes) and have 2 dc (aged 5 and 3). Is there a better route into teaching for someone in my position? Or are they much of a muchness in terms of time and energy demands?

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 28-Jul-15 15:44:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsnewfie Tue 28-Jul-15 17:35:27

I think a PGCE would be a better route. Less of the dropping in at the deep end approach!

toomuchicecream Tue 28-Jul-15 22:23:03

I too would chose PGCE. At the moment it feels like schools direct is like the wild west - you may well get a good experience, but if you don't, the systems aren't in place yet to help you tackle the problems you face. At least with a PGCE, the universities have a lot of experience at what they are doing/

DetectiveLund Wed 29-Jul-15 06:46:42

Thanks all - pgce it is!

Greywacke Wed 29-Jul-15 06:49:24

SCITT could be another option

Happy36 Wed 29-Jul-15 17:07:26

Good luck! I started teaching in my 30s after another career, having one child and falling pregnant with our second, and I adore it. I hope you enjoy your training and new career.

DetectiveLund Thu 30-Jul-15 06:40:47

Thanks happy - v motivating!

Next question - would I be silly training while one DC is still a preschooler - should I wait until he starts school?

chocoshopoholic Thu 30-Jul-15 07:01:28

Depends on the care arrangements you have in place. Your placement will be in the general region of not on the doorstep of your university; maybe up to an hour or so depending which one. You'll be expected to be there for the morning staff briefing, all day and any evening meetings. Then marking, planning and uni assignments. They will be intense long days.

whatever care you have will need to be robust and have several back up options. There are minimum placement and uni days you must complete - miss too many and you'll need to resit parts. At ours its 3 days absence for any reason (illness, funeral, car or care breakdown )

DetectiveLund Thu 30-Jul-15 07:35:30

Dh works away loads and family are far away - I have lots of determination but is that enough?! So hard to swap career post-kids.

DriftingOff Thu 30-Jul-15 09:19:35

Starting a teaching career as soon as your kids start school is the worst time to start it IMO. I career changed while I was pregnant with my first, and the easiest years were when my DDs were in nursery. Once they started school it became a whole lot more difficult. I missed taking them in on their first day at school, I missed all nativities, assemblies etc. I also had to organise wrap around care for morning and evening, which turned out to be a nightmare. My DD ended up having to go to one carer in the morning and another in the evening. The other thing I've found gets more difficult as they get older is all the out-of-school activities they want to do, which they don't do when they're toddlers. Ideally then, I would say either get your PGCE and NQT out of the way before they start school (which I think is too late for you), or wait until youngest is in Y1. If you do you're PGCE while they're in Y1, you'll have a chance of being able to get the odd afternoon off if there's something going on at school, then you'll start a proper job when youngest is in Y2 (and from then on you'll rarely have contact with your child's school, but obviously you get to spend all the holidays with them - it's swings and roundabouts). You're going to struggle in any job if your husband works away and you have no family backup, but I know I would go mad being a SAHM forever, and plenty of people do make it work. All you can do is try it out and see if you can make it work. Part-time is an option once you've done your NQT year?

mrsnewfie Thu 30-Jul-15 11:05:42

I would agree with Drifting. I went back full time when my youngest started reception and he nearly lost the plot. He started being very naughty and attention seeking, both of which were out of character.
I resigned from the school I was at as a result and have spent the last year sorting him out!
If you can get it out the way before, that would be better or leave it until he's settled.
Good luck!

DetectiveLund Thu 30-Jul-15 12:33:47

Thanks for the advice - will wait it out and get experience in the meantime.

CountryLovingGirl Sun 09-Aug-15 21:41:15

You can do a flexible PGCE over 2-3 years. I am hoping to do secondary biology and the course is with Edge Hill University. Mainly distance learning with about 6 face-to-face days at the Uni (on a Saturday) with placements local to your home. Check out their website as they do a lot of secondary courses this way.
My children are older than yours (11 and 7). I have attended most plays and sports days over the years (even though I work 3 days for the NHS). My eldest is now going to secondary so, I hope, that I will be needed less frequently at their school now. I know, if I do a flexi PGCE, I will be around a lot over the next 2 years also :-)
Avoid SD - hard work for a mum!
Message me if you want any details. What subject are you hoping to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now