Talk

Advanced search

Genres for new curriculum -y1

(3 Posts)
redlocks28 Sun 26-Jul-15 22:09:00

I'm in a new school and the Y1 medium term plan for literacy for the new curriculum is non-existant. The new curriculum doesn't seem to have genres specifically set out that need to be covered, or am I looking in the wrong place!? Does that mean it's up to us!?

SMT want us to have a literacy focus each half term- I presume we'll do one on story writing, then non-fiction, one poetry.

Would recounts, non-chronological reports and letter writing warrant half a term each. I feel like we should do more on narratives-character description/settings etc

Can someone give me a few pointers?

AsBrightAsAJewel Mon 27-Jul-15 09:47:51

No, there are no set genres in new curriculum, but one advisor suggested we followed the old primary strategy to make sure we have the coverage and progression we need.

I, personally, wouldn't do a different genre per half term. I may focus on just one, but it depends on the theme or topic. Some themes lead to multiple genres, for example in one term we study fairy stories and I branch out into Mr Wolf and the Three Bears by Jan Fearnley, which leads to writing recipes and games instructions and party invitations.

padkin Mon 27-Jul-15 11:05:37

The new curriculum just talks about writing for different purposes, with narratives, personal and fictional, mentioned. I will follow the talk for writing model - 3 weeks fiction (different style stories each half term) 2 weeks non- fiction (covering old style genres, reports, instructions, diaries, recounts etc) then 1 week poetry. Over the course of the year I'll cover 6 story types, 6 non-fiction types and 6 poetry types, with some flexibility to extend or reduce some depending on topic and interest - so one half term I may do 3 weeks non-fiction, then 2 weeks narrative etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now