Talk

Advanced search

I am correct about this, aren't I?

(29 Posts)
countryandchickens Fri 17-Jul-15 09:42:46

Having accepted a teaching position, even "only" verbally, one cannot then give backword?

I am positive I am right but am just double checking.

MrsUltracrepidarian Fri 17-Jul-15 14:45:02

I know people who have - because they have had a better offer. Since the refs have already been taken, it has worked out fine.
I also know schools that have pulled out after a verbal offer.

BrianButterfield Fri 17-Jul-15 14:47:17

I know people who have - in one case I know, they were on a year contract at a school and got a permanent position at another school. Head of first school decides they want teacher permanently and "arranges" with second school for offer to be rescinded. Not sure how happy second school was though!

countryandchickens Fri 17-Jul-15 15:26:57

Cripes - that's difficult then sad

I was under the impression that you absolutely could not pull out once you had accepted the offer!

FurtherSupport Fri 17-Jul-15 15:43:48

It happened to us once and the head now insists all offers are accepted in writing.

Even if you can't, what is a school going to do about it? You don't want someone working for you who would prefer to be elsewhere.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 17-Jul-15 15:46:37

It's not cricket, but it happens!

ltk Fri 17-Jul-15 15:49:47

Why can't you pull out? Schools send out a formal offer letter after the interview, and until you sign it you are a free agent.

countryandchickens Fri 17-Jul-15 16:07:05

Im sure I've read differently, ltk - confused now!

BrianButterfield Fri 17-Jul-15 16:19:38

You can't pull out - as in your name will be mud in the area if you do. But the market's a bit different to how it used to be so I think things are changing. And of course saying "you can't" is not saying "it's not possible". It is possible but it's Not Done.

countryandchickens Fri 17-Jul-15 16:21:19

Ah, thanks Brian - row with DH over this!

fredabear Fri 17-Jul-15 16:22:10

As Brian says, its not impossible, but its not the done thing - head talk to each other! However, I think that was much more the case when LAs were more powerful, now its each school/academy for itself

DoesItReallyMatter Fri 17-Jul-15 16:30:12

If you have a valid reason why not just speak to the head - they may well understand and not tarnish your name for evermore.
If it's a proper reason - salary, conure etc then I'meoukdnt be surprised if he was understanding

countryandchickens Fri 17-Jul-15 16:33:09

I don't want to withdraw, worry not - but DH was in an annoying 'well if you are nervous, you CAN pull out' and I kept explaining that no, I could not!

lougle Fri 17-Jul-15 16:57:20

I think there is a big risk in doing this because head teachers often know each other well and they will hear of the situation, which can make it hard to get further employment.

Murdermysteryreader Fri 17-Jul-15 17:02:22

You can pull out and people do.

MrsUltracrepidarian Fri 17-Jul-15 17:39:56

The world has definitely changed.
I came to teaching late after another career and was astounded at the way teaching recruiting is conducted - all the cards held by the school who could blacklist you if you did not comply - given the unionised situation even stranger.
But you do not have to play the game.
When you are offered the post, tell (not ask!) you need time to think/consult family.
And if you have an interview next day for another school - tell them.
If you are open and honest - all is fine.
If they tell you- 'no you gotta decide right now or never' politely decline - YOU are in charge of your career. Don't be bullied.

FuzzyWizard Fri 17-Jul-15 18:17:17

It is most definitely not the done thing in teaching and is viewed negatively by most people. You technically can do it but as PPs have said word can quickly get around to Headteachers about those sorts of things.

BrianButterfield Fri 17-Jul-15 18:33:20

I have however known people - recently - not get jobs because they tried to negociate on pay etc. I think the idea is that it's all in the advert, don't come along trying to play hardball.

Fullrumpus Sun 19-Jul-15 12:16:39

Once you accept a verbal offer you have entered a legally binding contract. If you withdraw from that stage onwards you risk being sued for breach of contract. It does happen though. If anyone needs to do this their best course of action is to have a timely and honest chat with the headteacher involved and try to negotiate release from the contract.

countryandchickens Sun 19-Jul-15 12:25:07

Do you or anyone else have a link for that by any chance? smile

Happy36 Mon 20-Jul-15 01:48:28

If accepted verbally, you can pull out but it's not very nice. The school you pulled out of could hold it against you (e.g. if head moves to another school and you interview there in future). However until you have signed the contract you are free to pull out.

MrsUltracrepidarian Mon 20-Jul-15 07:48:41

If the school decided to sue (very unlikely) then they would have to defend the charge that you could not reasonably commit to a contract without having seen all the Ts and Cs.
Yes, a vindictive head could possibly bear a grudge, as can anyone in any situation, but to be cowed by that is hardly an adult response.

CamelHump Mon 20-Jul-15 19:04:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

countryandchickens Mon 20-Jul-15 22:02:10

My DH is trying very hard to persuade me to do this, and I just want to be able to say 'look, I can't because we might get sued! Now stop moaning!' smile

lougle Mon 20-Jul-15 22:26:47

Look on gov.uk -it tells you there that it is beach of contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now