Talk

Advanced search

Changes to striking?!

(15 Posts)
rollonthesummer Wed 15-Jul-15 19:43:50

I saw today that the government are trying to pass a bill that prevents unions from striking unless 50% of those eligible to vote, vote to strike.

They also propose to allow agency staff to cover for striking workers-eg striking teachers would just be replaced by daily supplies using the money that the teacher forgoes.

Do we reckon the bill will get passed?!

SuffolkNWhat Wed 15-Jul-15 19:47:19

Oh it'll get passed sadly.

EthelDurant123 Wed 15-Jul-15 19:49:25

Unfortunately yes, despite the government being elected on a lesser mandate.

rollonthesummer Wed 15-Jul-15 20:05:45

That's crap sad

Mmm - You'd think 36.9% ought to be enough really, based on the present government.

downgraded Wed 15-Jul-15 20:10:53

Let's hope so. I don't see why anyone would think it's reasonable to strike with less than 50% support.

noblegiraffe Wed 15-Jul-15 20:15:37

In the case of a national strike, I can't imagine that there are enough supply teachers to fill the gap. We can barely get enough in to cover staff being hit by a sickness bug.

Many wouldn't cover for a striking colleague anyway.

Agree entirely that the likelihood of schools being able to call in sufficient supply staff is v low.

downgraded Wed 15-Jul-15 21:29:05

Then the kids will be babysat by whoever is there.

But that is unlikely to happen, because staff are not obliged to cover for a striking colleague.

downgraded Wed 15-Jul-15 21:49:23

But some will, so kids would be herded into the hall to watch a dvd. Which simply plays into the idea of a lot of parents that schools are glorified babysitters.

No - it shows that without proper teachers, children won't get properly taught, and that is why teachers should perhaps be valued a little.

CandOdad Wed 15-Jul-15 22:24:30

I know in our area that agencies can't provide as many staff as they are asked for on a day to day basis, so this wouldn't really be an option.

MiniSis Thu 16-Jul-15 09:18:01

Let's hope so. I don't see why anyone would think it's reasonable to strike with less than 50% support

I don't see how it is reasonable to run a country with less than 50% of the support. But ho hum that's a shit system designed to benefit the Tories democracy for you!

smile smile smile smile

MrsUltracrepidarian Fri 17-Jul-15 13:54:43

Agencies pay supply teacher a fraction of what they charge the school, so would not be economical for schools to pay the fees - would cost them more than the pay of the striking teacher- they would decide to close.
Having said that - if people are in a union and they feel strongly about it they should vote to strike - if they can't be bothered to vote, then the strike shouldn't take place. Its not stopping people striking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now