Talk

Advanced search

Target setting/ learning reflection

(8 Posts)
rebus1 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:14:37

I am thinking about using my PPA time next year to do this with my class. The (vague) idea would be to meet with a group of 5 children and review and discuss learning and social issues if needed. I will probably have an afternoon PPA so would see every child once every 6 weeks.

I am hoping that this would enable me to get to know the children and their perceptions about their own learning better than I seem to be able to do at present. It would mean that they would miss a lesson with the PPA cover (probably PE) once every 6 weeks.

So- stupid idea? And, if it is, what do other people do?

QueenofLouisiana Wed 15-Jul-15 07:10:01

We use the Assertive Mentoring programme. This involves meeting with each child every term to talk about where they are and where they need to go next. We are all given a day supply to do this and finish in PPA if needed (definitely needed if you have 36 in your class!).

rebus1 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:01:27

That sounds interesting, I'll look that up thanks.

WombatStewForTea Wed 15-Jul-15 14:49:09

I agree sounds a lot like assertive mentoring!

noblegiraffe Wed 15-Jul-15 20:07:46

When would you do your planning, preparation and assessment?

Why would talking to a group of 5 kids take an hour? (Or however long PE is).

Could you talk to each child individually for a much shorter time period but in lunchtime instead?

rebus1 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:28:46

I would do that at home noble, or after school. I shouldn't think meeting with a small group would take all of my PPA time, just thought it could be a productive use of it. I've considered lunchtime as well.

toomuchicecream Wed 15-Jul-15 22:23:49

It's the only way I get to hear year 1 children read properly, by doing it in my PPA. I tend to have a blitz over 2 or 3 weeks and then use my PPA in other ways for a few weeks. I just can't assess a child's reading properly and decide if they're ready to move on or not when I've got the other 29 children milling around me.

What about assembly time to meet with groups of children rebus?

rebus1 Thu 16-Jul-15 22:49:07

Assembly time good idea as well. Need to get some ideas planned out before I get too much into holiday mode!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now