Talk

Advanced search

Is it easy to find work as an EAL teacher in primary schools?

(6 Posts)
AbandonShark Wed 08-Jul-15 21:27:06

I'm working at the moment as a part time EAL teacher in a secondary school, but quite seriously considering a switch to teaching EAL at primary level. I don't have a "proper" teaching qualification, but I do have a CELTA + huge amounts of experience working with primary age children. I'm due to start volunteering at a local school next term, but is it easy to find any positions in EAL in primary schools/with an LEA Iin anyone's experience?

MsAR Thu 09-Jul-15 05:31:43

I work in a very diverse school with lots of EAL. We wouldn't appoint anybody unqualified as a teacher but would definitely look at someone who had experience in a HLTA role. Have you looked online to see if there are any jobs advertised there? Most schools will have recruited the teachers they need for September by now but maybe you're looking to move later in the year. Keep checking the council's website and good luck with it all.

hesterton Thu 09-Jul-15 06:08:38

Agree, you wouldn't (and shouldn't ) get a teacher job but could well get a HLTA job.

NCtoSay Thu 09-Jul-15 07:13:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AbandonShark Thu 09-Jul-15 11:31:28

Thanks for the advice smile I did think it would be pretty tough due to my (Lack of!) qualifications sadly. I think I'm very lucky to have the job I do at the moment then! Hopefully a combination of experience at my current job and volunteering will open some doors until I'm able to get more training.

Hmm. Rather than LEAs/"normal" schools then, I wonder if Academies/free schools would have more opportunities for me? I think I might do a bit more research in that area. Thanks again for the advice.

hesterton Fri 10-Jul-15 22:15:53

Private schools are more likely to employ teachers with celta type qualifications.as their approach is more efl than eal. To be called and paid as a teacher in a state school in the UK, you are almost always expected to have qualified teacher status through an appropriate education degree or pgce. EAL teaching is a very different thing - it's working across the curriculum supporting learning in a whole range of subjects.Also working with heads of departments to differentiate schemes of work and teach alternative accredited provision for late arrivals learning English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now