Talk

Advanced search

Having surgery during term time or holidays?

(33 Posts)
Axelposie Wed 08-Jul-15 14:45:40

At some point in the next 18 months I am going to have to have an operation - the recovery (depending on how the operation goes) will be between 3 and 6 weeks. Would you opt to have the surgery during the holidays or during term time or overlapping both? The operation is medical rather than cosmetic.
Obviously I want to keep disruption and cost to the school as small as possible (I work part time) but also don't want to miss all my holidays recovering from this operation.

Anyone got any opinions/experience?

ILoveMyMonkey Wed 08-Jul-15 14:47:50

Term time because we can't book / take holiday whenever we like so why should you miss out on rest, relaxation and holiday (which we dont get paid for). But then I'm a work to live gal not a live to work one ha ha wink

Axelposie Wed 08-Jul-15 14:48:06

Just to avoid drip feeding, I won't be able to drive during the recovery time and so there will be more of an impact on my own children if it is during the holidays (term time I can organise lifts for them).

ILoveMyMonkey Wed 08-Jul-15 14:53:28

In which case 100% term time - why should the kids suffer too, plus with them at school you'll have recovery time rather than having to struggle to entertain them.

mrsnewfie Wed 08-Jul-15 16:08:09

Definitely term time!

You might not be able to choose anyway?

GinandJag Wed 08-Jul-15 19:20:26

Term time. You need your holidays to recover from teaching, so don't lose them.

Would you be able to set work, do any marking, prepare new resources as you recover at home?

MrsHerculePoirot Wed 08-Jul-15 19:22:41

Term time definitely, I don't have childcar in the holidays. I could get tonnes of work done for school from home, it would be great.

wannabestressfree Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:18

I have had surgery numerous times and have it during term time so I can actually rest...... I just make sure I plan well in advance.

nothingtodotoday Wed 08-Jul-15 19:29:17

I would go for term time but I think if you are signed off in the holidays you will be given a number of days off to take during term time in lieu of you holiday when you were off.

SunsetDreamer Wed 08-Jul-15 19:29:50

Term time. Believe me, the school would in no way reciprocate the thoughtfulness of you having it during the holiday (if it's anything like mine)...

Don't even feel guilty. Put your OWN children first.

Orangeanddemons Wed 08-Jul-15 19:31:38

I've never heard of the Nothing. We never get days in lieu for anything

CamelHump Wed 08-Jul-15 19:34:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maria543 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:36:59

Term-time. If you have your own children, then at least they're not missing out too much on their active parent, which they would be if you had the surgery during the holidays.

Teacherinatutu Wed 08-Jul-15 20:21:03

Term time!! No question!!

SuffolkNWhat Wed 08-Jul-15 20:23:30

I am facing this dilemma in the not too distant future but as my consultant said, it's the NHS you have little say in the dates given!

Term time, while not ideal for school, is better in terms of routine etc as my DC have TTO childcare.

RoosterCogburn Wed 08-Jul-15 20:27:07

Nothing, I've never heard of that rule.
I had surgery a few days before a holiday so my recovery time while I was signed off was holiday and I certainly didn't get time off in lieu

Wolfiefan Wed 08-Jul-15 20:28:28

Term time. What other job would you have to use your holiday for an operation???

NotOnASchoolNight99 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:29:14

Schools have insurance policies to cover long term absences or sickness. At my school, it kicks in after 5 days.

PUGaLUGS Wed 08-Jul-15 20:32:30

Definitely term time. I am admin though.

I had a knee operation last September - went back to work after the summer hols, op booked for third week in Sept.

museumum Wed 08-Jul-15 20:37:50

Assuming you have no childcare in the holidays then you'd need the earliest weeks to be term time so you can recover properly (unless your dh is s teacher too).
Maybe if you get the choice then two to three weeks before the end of term would be ideal.

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 08-Jul-15 20:50:05

I'm having a double op (gynae) and chose to have it in the summer holiday! Didn't even think of opting to have it during term time! and I had the choice!! Am I a mug?!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 08-Jul-15 21:17:52

Not that it should have any bearing on your decision (I'm definitely in the term time camp)but our school, and quite a few others have ditched the insurance policy as they cost too much.
Yes you are Arabella grin, you wouldn't do it in another industry.

FabulousFudge Wed 08-Jul-15 22:39:25

I've had an operation in the hols and never got time off in lieu and I have never heard of anyone else having any either.

Definitely term time. Just go with the date you are given and the school will have to make provisions for your class accordingly.

WhenMarnieWasThere Wed 08-Jul-15 22:48:00

I have had an op 3 weeks ago. It was originally booked for the end of April when I would have missed school inspection, but it was cancelled very, very, very last minute so I suddenly had to be there for the inspection after all. I couldn't take the next date they offered, 4 weeks later, because it was the Whit holiday the week after and we had a 7 hour car journey to get to our holiday which I couldn't do that close to post op.

They gave me a date 3 weeks ago. If it had been cancelled then I would have asked for the date to be put off til after the summer holidays. I've always been the sole childcare in the holidays as I have them off too.

As it happened, I was signed off by the hospital for 2 weeks, wasn't ready to go back so the GP signed me off for another 2 weeks. I go back for the last 2 days of the summer term which is great as I then have another 6 week recuperation before Sept.

If it was cosmetic then I'd say you shouldn't mess work around but if it's medical (like my hip operation was) then you have it when the hospital offers it to you and your work get cover for you.

Axelposie Thu 09-Jul-15 07:33:14

Thanks all, you have reassured me! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now