Talk

Advanced search

Supply this afternoon

(15 Posts)
unpackyoursuitcase Tue 07-Jul-15 09:54:32

I feel sick, hot and shaky. Booked to teach yr 3/4 this afternoon. So nervous, never been to school before. I want to ring agency and cancel,

Rosieliveson Tue 07-Jul-15 10:01:46

If the feeling is illness then you should cancel. The agency can probably find someone else in time. If it's just nerves then go along. You'll be fine. It's a nice time of term to see a new school. Good luck.

unpackyoursuitcase Tue 07-Jul-15 10:04:29

It's nerves, it's only for an afternoon. Feel so ill, upset tummy, shaking, feel sick to my stomach, been up a lot in night going through classroom conversations in my head

littlesupersparks Tue 07-Jul-15 10:09:48

Why are you so nervous? X

TheHappyCamper Tue 07-Jul-15 10:14:52

What's making you so nervous? Have you done supply before? x

SavoyCabbage Tue 07-Jul-15 10:20:56

You are doing supply for a year 3/4 class this afternoon and you have never been to a school before? Or this school?

In any case, how bad can it be? It's a short time and this age is really fun.

HagOtheNorth Tue 07-Jul-15 10:27:43

Do you mean never been to this school before, or it's your first job on supply?
Get through it, or you'll never manage in September. It's for less than 3 hours, you can do it!

Rosieliveson Tue 07-Jul-15 10:40:52

I'm sure it will be fine. I remember doing supply in year 5/6 for the first time. I had only taught as high as yr3 in my own classss. I was really nervous AND was covering PE but it was actually pretty good fun and the time flew! You'll be great smile

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 07-Jul-15 10:50:38

I only did Y 5/6 on teaching practice, years ago, so was nervous when I did daily supply and found myself landed with Y1. Not only Infants but small ones! Had never so much as stepped foot in an Infants classroom since I was 6, myself! It was fine. Confirmed for me I'd never want to teach kids that age and I'd avoid jobs with younger kids ever afterwards, but I lived to tell the tale.

Oddest (and best as it turned out) supply job I ever had was when a teacher ran sobbing out of school at lunchtime and I was asked to cover the afternoon. It was a right-on trendy school where the kids called you by first name (and a private school so the kids were incredibly spoiled and entitled) but it turned out to be a permanent, part time gig, and the kids who had reduced my predecessor to a sobbing wreck, were lovely with me. You never know.

downgraded Tue 07-Jul-15 12:42:52

I do a lot of supply.

I detach myself really - if unsuitable or incomplete work has been left then I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if the kids end up doing quiet reading for a lesson.

Don't be afraid to be honest with the kids either. I'll quite often set them a quiet three minute task and tell them I need to get my head around the lesson I'm teaching...

You can only be as good as the work you are left, and at the end of the day you're a body in the room, which is all they need when it's just a day or half day cover.

MiaowTheCat Tue 07-Jul-15 16:16:15

I used to get a mild feeling of this every single time I went to an unknown school on supply - you get used to it and you start to learn a lot more about what works well if you've got to do a lesson off your own resources rather than one left by the teacher and how to get a class of very curious kids about who this random woman is who's just showed up to teach them down to task quick while gently and firmly avoiding their attempts at sidetracking (it always used to be trying to work out where my accent was from when I was teaching).

You also get the greatest knowledge ever of ways to get around every possible traffic jam or incident in your city since primary schools are typically hidden away on obscure roads in housing estates - DH is continually impressed with my ability to rat run around any gridlock in the area!

I coped on "wibble" days by mentally putting on my "Miss" persona - that gave me that little degree of detachment and confidence to do any bookings I was slightly wobbly about - and you do get some that you get more anxious about than others even as a very experienced supply bod (I must have done 5+ years on supply off and on before I had my own kids and quit - I actually loved doing it). It also gets easier as the agency get a picture of which schools you get on really well in and send you back to the same places time and time again.

Rosieliveson Tue 07-Jul-15 16:19:41

Hope it went well smile

unpackyoursuitcase Tue 07-Jul-15 22:05:18

Thanks everyone, it went really well, I printed off a rainforest animal poem, gave a verse to each group and they had to perform it to the rest of the class, what a dad tie I am.,

HagOtheNorth Wed 08-Jul-15 07:16:24

That sounded like a perfect activity for them, you know what you are doing.
So why the panic, and will it happen again when you face a class after 6 or 7 weeks off?

unpackyoursuitcase Wed 08-Jul-15 07:48:55

I have no idea why yesterday was so bad, was a local school. Would love to go back and do it all again, thanks for all the "YOU CAN DO IT" messages. Supply in a school I go to regularly today, no idea what class or what I will be teaching but no nerves at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now