Talk

Advanced search

Being paid over the summer after doing a maternity contract...

(13 Posts)
TheHumourlessHarpy Wed 24-Jun-15 19:55:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Rachie1986 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:59:45

I believe you won't get paid, unless the school have said they are keeping you on? Otherwise your pay ends when the teacher returns from maternity..

wannabestressfree Wed 24-Jun-15 20:03:45

No pay if you were at my school sorry.

mmmminx Wed 24-Jun-15 20:05:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsmumb Wed 24-Jun-15 20:06:16

when I took on a maternity post (it was made permanent) I asked this question at the interview. I was to be paid over summer as that is your holiday entitlement per rata.

mmmminx Wed 24-Jun-15 20:06:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheHumourlessHarpy Wed 24-Jun-15 20:07:27

Mrsmumb Wed 24-Jun-15 20:07:33

pro rata*

TheHumourlessHarpy Wed 24-Jun-15 20:09:15

WombatStewForTea Wed 24-Jun-15 20:42:19

This happened to me. I was kept on permanently but my new contract started on the 1st of September so I didn't get paid sad. Happens a lot in our place. Maybe I'll get my own back one day.

FabulousFudge Wed 24-Jun-15 23:09:50

Even if you're kept on, you won't bed paid over the summer.

BackforGood Wed 24-Jun-15 23:20:57

No, because - as you are on supply, you get an annual salary, divided into 195 days. A teacher on a permanent contract gets the same annual salary (if you were on the same grade) divided into 12 equal months.

So - say there were 20 days in March you taught, you'd have been paid more for the month of March (20 / 195th of the salary...around about 1/10th) than the permanent teacher, who will have been paid her monthly salary (ie 1/12th of the total for the year).

So, you don't get paid for the holidays, because you get paid more during term time. Balances out across the year.

Of course, this doesn't work as well since the rip off agencies have started paying lower rates, but that is how it was originally worked out.

birdling Fri 26-Jun-15 13:16:05

I was in this exact position and assumed I wouldn't, so I was very surprised when a pay slip arrived for August. I even rang the council to say they'd made a mistake - but they hadn't! So in some circumstances you will :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now