Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - I need help please re composite class

(11 Posts)
CocktailQueen Sun 21-Jun-15 22:18:50

My friendd's dd is due to start school,in Scotland in August. She will be 4y 9m. She has been put into a composite primary 1/2 class but with only 6 P1 kids in it - two other girls, three boys.

The teacher is an NQT this year, teaching primary 7. Next year she will be teaching 30 primary 1/2 kids aged from 4 to 7 (Because in Scotland you can defer kids to start school a year later). How is it possible to differentiate for such a wide range of abilities? There will be no TA.

What positives will there be for my friend's dd being in this class?. There will be no mixing with the primary 1 class - they do class topics, not year topics. My friend is worried she will be left out and will only have a few people to make friends with, and it will affect her education.

I have told her to write to the school and ask all these things, but what do you think? How can teachers do this? Why put such a young dd in a mixed class?? How will it work? Any advice? Thank you!

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 21-Jun-15 22:32:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CocktailQueen Tue 23-Jun-15 11:08:12

Thanks, Angels - that's helpful. smile

indyandlara Tue 23-Jun-15 18:48:20

I'm very surprised that she will only be 4y 9 mths. In a composite the oldest of the younger children are with the youngest of the oldest kids so the age gap is as small as possible. That I would check out.

As for the rest, any teacher will be used to awning for a huge ability spread. You can have a p5 class with children working between Early and Second levels so that's no biggie.

Euphemia Tue 23-Jun-15 19:26:00

I had a P1/2 last year, ageing from 4y 6m to 6y 6m. It wasn't easy, but that's what we're trained for!

This year I have a P4-7 and the ability range is huge. I have lots of groups for reading, maths, etc. and some children treated as individuals.

Are you sure there will be 30 in the class? That seems a lot. The cap of 25 is a guideline, not the law, however.

I assume the school always has composite classes? If so, they'll be well set up for dealing with the academic and social aspects.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 23-Jun-15 19:54:40

Euphemia Tue 23-Jun-15 20:36:40

Last year I had 26 in P1/2, this year we had 27 in P5-7.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 23-Jun-15 20:44:39

PacificDogwood Tue 23-Jun-15 20:51:10

Various of my boys have been in various composite classes, including P1/2 (also Scotland).
They happen to be spring born so were amongst the older one which I appreciate is a difference to what you are describing.

However, we've had nothing but positive experiences with composite classes - the smaller size makes a difference, the kids have been sitting on tables of 6 so small group work is done by ability rather than age IYKWIM, and they have certainly mixed with the other P1s (or other year groups - I think we've also had a P3/4 and, most recently a P6/7)

Is is a small school?
IME children do adapt amazingly well.

Having said that, being of the German ilk that I am grin and being used to an average school age of 6, I struggle with 4+ yo going to formal education, but that's probably for another thread.

Euphemia Tue 23-Jun-15 20:52:01

Apparently not! Everything you read makes it sound like a definite cap, but my HT was told it was only a guideline!

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 23-Jun-15 21:00:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now