Talk

Advanced search

childcare leave and applying for jobs - possible?

(5 Posts)
printer11 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:19:37

I am in very bad books with my headteacher as you can see ( he wrote me a reference and then I pulled out, so he knows that my behaviour affected my current's school reputation)

I am thinking applying next year. BUT I am completely exhausted with stress etc. Also, have problems with childcare ( under 5 kids). I wonder whether to request a leave due to childcare for under 5s ( 6 months or so?)...

can I apply for jobs during such a leave?

I would be very grateful for your advice.

Wordylicious Fri 19-Jun-15 22:03:31

Do you mean parental leave?

It would be unpaid. You could ask for a term or year as leave of absence - no harm in asking. But don't be surprised if they turn you down.

In the meantime, I honestly think that you are overblowing the whole withdrawal from the job thing. It is not an everlasting mark of shame to accept a job and then withdraw. The idea that it has affected the reputation of the school is ludicrous. The other HT has probably already put it to the back of your mind. Teaching recruitment processes are odd, very odd and out in the 'real world' this would be a five minutes' wonder.

CharlesRyder Sat 20-Jun-15 07:39:44

Your current job seems to be unsustainable so, in your position, I think I would just resign now for Christmas (school will appreciate the notice) and look for another job to start then.

If you can't cope with the Autumn term spend it signed off. Have you been to OccH? They should be working with your current school to make adjustments that will enable you to do your job without becoming ill.

You are totally over thinking the withdrawal thing. I know of somebody who has applied for and then withdrawn from 3 jobs this term!! DH writes the persons references so it is work for him but he's more of the mind that the person needs to find the right job for them than feeling pissed off.

ilovesooty Sun 21-Jun-15 12:48:22

All your posts suggest you've shot your bolt at your current school.

I can't see that applying for parental leave for six months of absence next year will go down well, particularly as if I remember rightly your performance and capability are in question.

I think you might be better off cutting your losses and looking at supply.

I agree with the others. It sounds like you're unhappy at your current school so to be fair to everyone maybe just hand your notice in now for Christmas and start looking for a new role or supply.

It doesn't sound like your head won't do you a reference for any school; he just wouldn't support your reapplication at that school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now