Talk

Advanced search

Need a great story for 7-9 year olds

(18 Posts)
Hegoethdown Tue 16-Jun-15 12:39:08

Got a job interview for a primary school librarian post and one of the tasks is to read a story to a group of children aged 7-9. I've got 15 minutes to read it so I'm thinking 10 minutes or so reading with 5 minutes of discussion in amongst.
No idea of the childrens' levels so needs to be accessible to all and also one which they won't have all read before.
Currently a secondary English teacher and hoping very much that this will be my escape route so any suggestions will be really appreciated!

Crusoe Tue 16-Jun-15 15:21:34

I would read an extract rather than a whole story - leave them wanting more and end on a real cliffhanger.
Read the whole extract don't stop for questions or explanations, wait until the end to invite discussion.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 16-Jun-15 15:23:01

I'd ask your local librarian - they are a font of all knowledge when it comes to books.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 16-Jun-15 15:24:03

*fount

momtothree Tue 16-Jun-15 22:06:40

Try a Amilia Jane story ... always gets what she deserves - lots of talk about doing the right thing -

toomuchicecream Tue 16-Jun-15 22:36:53

What about Rose Blanche? Or Archie's War? I agree about reading part and then talking about it. You should be able to get them pleading for you to finish the story, which will look great at your interview!

Lidlfix Tue 16-Jun-15 22:42:04

Francis Beckett short "Seafood" would be great for that age group and timescale. Real twist and generates great discussion on "issues" explored in the text.

Theselittlelightsaremine Tue 16-Jun-15 22:47:38

An extract from something funny, have a look at Jeremy Strong books like my brothers hot cross bottom.

fluffywhitekittens Tue 16-Jun-15 22:51:14

First chapter of " I was a Rat" Philip Pullman. Lots of discussion opportunities about characters and plot predictions.

Stopmithering Tue 16-Jun-15 22:51:40

One of the David Walliams books?

kilmuir Tue 16-Jun-15 22:52:26

my 7 and 9 year old love MrStink

Stopmithering Tue 16-Jun-15 22:53:13

Extract from one of the David Walliams books?
Or Roald Dahl?

Stopmithering Tue 16-Jun-15 22:53:48

Silly ipad ...

leccybill Tue 16-Jun-15 23:45:04

Do primary schools have librarians?
Even in our secondary school, the librarian is also responsible for careers education , work experience, clubs, some general admin and probably other things.

Hegoethdown Wed 17-Jun-15 20:00:59

Thanks for all your suggestions that's really helpful- I'll have a browse at local library/ Waterstones tomorrow.
leccybill- it seems this primary school does have a librarian! Would imagine they get lumbered with other stuff though, that's the way of things in most schools I think.

prepperpig Wed 17-Jun-15 20:04:24

Extract from the Butterfly Lion or from Adolphus Tips both Michael Morpurgo

prepperpig Wed 17-Jun-15 20:17:04

OR an extract from Michael Morpurgo's I Believe in Unicorns which is about a librarian inspiring children who are reluctant readers by reading to them...

hels71 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:19:25

One of Terry Jones fairy tales....the beast with a thousand teeth is my favourite...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now