My name is "mud" - that is how I feel - I messed up the job offer

(32 Posts)
printer11 Fri 12-Jun-15 14:49:45

Had the job offer and I messed up the HT - accepted verbally then pulled out. I deeply regret it... last month the school readvertised the job but my HT said that he would not support me with the reference, so I did not apply.
I feel so bad and also think how would this situation affect my future applications? feel like "blacklisted"

CharlesRyder Fri 12-Jun-15 16:58:50

Why did you pull out? If you have very good reasons I don't think it will stand against you.

TealFanClub Fri 12-Jun-15 16:59:43

you messed up the HT?

printer11 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:39:28

I meant I messed up the job offer - was emailing back and forth, accepting, then pulling out etc

CharlesRyder Fri 12-Jun-15 17:44:12

I think you just have to draw a line under it and apply for something else next year.

zingally Fri 12-Jun-15 19:06:48

What CharlesRyder says is wise. Draw a line under it and move on.

I remember when I was applying for jobs a couple of years ago.
I was literally applying for anything suitable. That meant that I had a lot of applications to be filled in, lots in the system, and interviews coming in.

One morning, I got a call from a school, "where was I?" Then I realised I was meant to be there on an interview! I'd thought it was the next day...? I felt so bad! I'm probably blacklisted there... But to be honest, I can't remember what school it was, so I'd probably apply again if I was looking!

So you applied, withdrew and were then going to reapply? Why did you withdraw? And what made guy want to reapply?

Shinyandnew1 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:15:56

Why did you pull out?

printer11 Sat 13-Jun-15 22:02:04

pulled out because of family circumstances, I have young family, lots of things worried me because the change of the job meant change of the whole school run routines etc...I panicked

ilovesooty Sat 13-Jun-15 22:23:09

It seems you have a lot of issues to sort out with your work life in general. I think I'd get on top of those and really think things out before applying for any more jobs. You posted about this on TES too I think?

However many threads you start in different places you really need some constructive real life professional advice to get your career back on track.

Magicalmrmistofeles Sat 13-Jun-15 22:24:25

Didn't you have the other thread running? I think you need to draw a line and move on.

FATEdestiny Sat 13-Jun-15 22:34:19

The school would not re-interview you for the readvertised post that you withdrew from.

So your reference makes no difference in this application. You won't get past application phase once they read your name.

We had an applicant withdraw from an accepted post 3 days before the start of term in September. It was horrible. The poor children in that class having to start school with temporary supply teacher.

Georgina1975 Sat 13-Jun-15 22:42:20

I agree with sooty.

It seems to me as if you might be quite ill - wasn't it only last week you were posting about returning to work after being signed-off? I wonder if your indecision about this job is related to the illness? Perhaps you need to return to the GP and get signed-off for a much longer period. Exhaustion will not get resolved in one week.

printer11 Sun 14-Jun-15 05:54:37

I really really want that job... Could I email the school concerned asking first if they would consider my application? I do nt want to regret in the future that I have not tried...

lunar1 Sun 14-Jun-15 06:00:09

It costs time and money to advertise a job. I think you need too move on they won't accept you after messing them around.

coolaschmoola Sun 14-Jun-15 06:13:27

I think you need to accept that you have burnt your bridges with this school and move on.

You have presented yourself as indecisive, messed them about and cost them time and money to re-advertise... All behaviour that will have coloured their view of you.

I appreciate that you want the job (now) but that isn't the message you've given them, how could they possibly be expected to believe that you really want it now when you did then didn't before?

lunchbrunchtime Sun 14-Jun-15 06:24:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MythicalKings Sun 14-Jun-15 06:29:27

I think you have to let it go. In their place I wouldn't entertain another application from you.

Minispringroll Sun 14-Jun-15 08:00:39

pulled out because of family circumstances, I have young family, lots of things worried me because the change of the job meant change of the whole school run routines etc...
[schock] You withdrew from a verbally binding contract because it would have meant changing your school run routines???
Are you an NQT, that you just didn't know any better and nobody told you? No, they would not consider your application again. I'm not surprised that you HT won't support your re-application, either. Presumably, your family circumstances haven't changed...
Move on. Apply somewhere else. This time, check out before you apply, whether it possible for you to get there or whether you can change your routines to make them work.

NewTwenty Sun 14-Jun-15 08:14:18

I think that HTs are human and there is no harm in asking. Send a polite email explaining that you have sorted out your situation and would they consider an application from you.

CharlesRyder Sun 14-Jun-15 08:36:55

You posted about this on TES too I think?

Do people still do that? shock I thought it was all boarded up with tumbleweed rolling through and stuff. grin

SweepTheHalls Sun 14-Jun-15 08:40:12

Honestly, don't waste any more time thinking about this. I would not even consider an application from someone who had messed us around like that. Move on, more jobs next year, but that boat has well and truly sailed.

PotteringAlong Sun 14-Jun-15 08:40:24

You can ask but I cannot imagine anyone employing you when you've already messed them around. Move on.

WombatStewForTea Sun 14-Jun-15 09:11:25

If I remember your previous posts correctly you were having problems with your HT and discussing capability? I don't know how references fit in with this but I'd assume you wouldn't get a glowing reference? And I believe legally you can't be given a bad reference just a simple statement of fact - is this what your HT is saying?
From all your posts it sounds like you've got a lot of issues going on. Would it be worth you leaving at the next available opportunity and going on supply for a while and building up new references?

SuffolkNWhat Sun 14-Jun-15 09:28:18

To put it simply unless there was no other option at all I don't think the school would give you another go, you have proven yourself to be flaky, in education a verbal contract is just that a contract.

You need to reassess your priorities and sort things out for yourself before trying again. Think about leaving in January and trying supply or support roles. Remember too that Heads talk to each other and you may find you have burned your bridges within your local area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now