Talk

Advanced search

What do you say when a child says...

(18 Posts)
Lovingtheseagulls Sat 06-Jun-15 21:11:51

"I love you"? I work in Foundation Stage and have two children who every now and then say "I love you". I automatically reply with "I love you too" but wonder if this is appropriate really. What would you say?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 06-Jun-15 21:14:17

'Oh thank you. Let's....(divert and distract)'

Some might say it's inappropriate and want you to say 'No you don't, you love mummy (or whoever) and you like me'. I think it's horrible to deny a child's expression of their emotions.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sat 06-Jun-15 21:16:26

I've had it said to me and replied with "aww, thank you. let's go do x y z" and try and steer away from the subject.

I think saying "I love you" back is a bit inappropriate but it would be mean and hurtful to tell them that they don't or not reply at all.

mineallmine Sat 06-Jun-15 21:16:32

How about 'Thank you, and I love all the children in our class'?

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sat 06-Jun-15 21:16:56

Oops, x posted there somehow.

earthyambitions Sat 06-Jun-15 21:18:54

I often don't say anything just a smile will do but when it does require a response I usually say 'I love you all' or 'thank you, and I love being your teacher' or similar.

Lovingtheseagulls Sat 06-Jun-15 21:21:26

Yes I will try just saying thank you. It's so hard, these two children have really tricky home lives and I think school is probably where they get most of their stability. I want them to feel loved.

TheRoseAndTheFire Sat 06-Jun-15 21:21:44

'I love being your teacher' is a great response earthy.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 06-Jun-15 21:23:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 06-Jun-15 21:24:54

My nephew went through a phase of saying this to teachers and they corrected him to say "I like you" when speaking to teachers

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 06-Jun-15 21:25:21

Oh. 'I love being your teacher' is brilliant. Thanks.

FabulousFudge Sat 06-Jun-15 21:29:14

Thank you and change the subject is best option I think.

IsItStupid Sun 07-Jun-15 08:04:05

I love being your teacher is a very good one, in my opinion.

Plain thank you can be a bit harsh for some children.

But sayings "Thank you, xxx, I love teaching you/this class/your class" is quite a nice work around, and then you can change the subject.

DocHollywood Sun 07-Jun-15 08:07:05

I say 'Aw, that's a nice thing to say', or 'Aw, do you?' then carry on. I never say I love you back, because it's not true!

insancerre Sun 07-Jun-15 08:09:57

I just say
Aw, thank you! That's lovely
and return their hug
It happens nearly every day
It means you are doing your job properly

MrsUltracrepidarian Sun 07-Jun-15 20:21:39

I had this recently in secondary (Y8) - my response was 'Thanks, you're a great class - always good to see you'

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Jun-15 12:17:05

I used to do "..and I think you're FANTASTIC!" - usually had enough of an impact to redirect it as they wandered off preening about how Mrs X had said they were 'tastic

ChristmasZombie Mon 08-Jun-15 16:52:29

I say something like "I love being with all of you!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now