Talk

Advanced search

Y6 transition

(7 Posts)
PerksOfBeingNorthern Fri 05-Jun-15 22:02:37

So much has happened at my school in past couple of years this feels like a slightly insignificant problem to finally persuade me to post here. However, I am looking for opinions on if AIBU to be wound up by this. Feel free to tell me to let it go!
As part of our y6s transition to secondary we are asked to fill in forms giving details about the new cohort - ability, SEN etc. The secondary staff like it to be as basic as possible and prefer when placing the children to mix them up without too much input from us which I agree with as feel a change is good for them.
The majority of my forms were completed with basic info and a general comment when passing them over to staff - No problems there.
I recommended a couple of splits due to arguments/characters.
Then, for three of my children it was recommended they be placed with a friend/familiar face for various reasons (By sen team, learning mentor and the pastoral care from my school and secondary)
For two of these children I put four/five names as suggestions and said any would work and would leave up to them.
For one of the children I had a preference for a particular child to be in their form. I asked my colleague (more experienced, my first time filling forms in) how they would take that in case they would see as being 'dictated to' and was reassured they weren't like that I should just say I would recommend x child and x child and explain reasons.
You can probably guess where this is going-the children have been placed into forms and my preference has not been listened to. I am annoyed that they, having asked my professional opinion, have ignored it, especially as I feel it is in best interests of children and mad at myself that my gut reaction was correct in thinking they wouldn't put these children together as it was my first choice. But also feeling it's slightly irrational and I should just chalk it up as one of those things and trying to weigh up how much it will affect child in question. So do I
A) get over it and accept that often opinions are asked for but can't always be followed through on?
B) email them asking them to clarify reasons?
Help! Thanks smile

EmberRose Fri 05-Jun-15 22:19:52

I'm a secondary teacher. We have an intake of 240 and I think as much as the year 7 pastoral team try to follow everyone's wishes its not always possible. I think it unfair of you to say they have ignored you. If I were you I would contact the school and just ask about it- can you speak to pastoral manager and re explain your reasons for wanting them in the same form?

DoloresLandingham Sat 06-Jun-15 07:57:37

Please consider for a moment some of the factors that you have to juggle across one or two classes, with children's relationships, learning needs, and family wishes. Now multiply that across six, seven or eight classes, with perhaps ten feeder schools. Your input will have been useful (and no doubt the info will continue to be so to the children's new teachers next year) but they weren't able to implement all of your recommendations. It's nothing personal.

You clearly care very much about the children and wanted to do all you could to help with their transition. They will be fine.

mnistooaddictive Sat 06-Jun-15 08:07:55

I've done the tutor group placement for incoming year 7. We had 250 students who have to be out in 8 groups that are all equal in ability, behaviour, number of girls and boys, SEN, etc etc. it takes hours and hours and it is impossible to follow every recommendation from primary schools.
If you feel really strongly, contact the school and tell them why. No one will take offence, we are generally a hardy bunch!

PerksOfBeingNorthern Sat 06-Jun-15 08:56:14

Sorry Ember I should have said I felt ignored but I do know I wasn't.
Dolores I do appreciate what a nightmare it can be sorting forms taking into consideration the needs of 350 children (plus their complaining y6 teachers!) I don't think I made that clear in my OP so apologies for making it sound like it was about my feelings and not the children.
There are a lot of unresolved issues with this particular child regarding transition-we're not sure how things are going to work and it feels like a lot is try a few things/wait and see so this is why I wanted to get the form right and why they were the only child (out of 76) I made a specific request for.
I think I needed a little perspective so thank you for your replies and reminding me it's not personal. I feel more relaxed about it this morning.
As it was initially recommended by their pastoral care team that this child had a friend in their form to help them settle I think I will get in touch to let them know this hasn't happened and see what they say, we still have a few weeks before children find out their forms so there may be a chance some may swap. I'll also think of some alternative children rather than getting hung up on my 'first choice' in case that would be a possibility.
Thanks again for your replies.

PerksOfBeingNorthern Sat 06-Jun-15 09:05:49

mn thanks for your reply. Yes, ours are a 'hardy' bunch too - and think they will need to be this year speaking to our other pyramid schools and knowing who we're sending them. grin
They have been brilliant (as always) with some our vulnerable children and their early transition and I know they won't actually mind me querying it or answering questions.

Thatssofunny Sat 06-Jun-15 09:14:19

I've just done the same (team came in to see our children, though). They asked them, who they'd like to be with. I mostly made suggestions about who to split up and who to watch out for. Our secondary have form for mostly disregarding it. It's annoying, but it'll be their mess to sort out in the end.
My year group this time round are lovely and won't cause a problem. For most of them, it doesn't matter and they'll settle regardless. I've mentioned one child, who needs to be considered very carefully. (Considering he kicked off in the session with the HoY, they know I'm not just being petty.)
Last time the secondary 'ignored' our suggestions (and we were a team of six Y6 teachers, six-form entry...so not just one or two classes to consider), it took them about two weeks to realise that we 1) hadn't been exaggerating about how challenging the year group were and 2) hadn't just been 'soft' on them, because their methods had no impact whatsoever, either.

It's irritating, because it makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time and effort. However, you've done your bit and you can't protect them forever. Let it go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now