Talk

Advanced search

Science - North East

(14 Posts)
Whattonamemyselfnow Fri 29-May-15 10:41:13

Hi
I've been teaching 6 years and we are looking to relocate to the north east. Where we live at the minute, South Yorkshire I would say that I would pick up a job fairly easily.

Whattonamemyselfnow Fri 29-May-15 10:42:38

Oops.
I am wondering if anyone has any insight into whether this would be the case in the north east? (I used to work in York and people literally had to retire before jobs came up)

I hope this does not sound too stupid a question.

MossyLawn Fri 29-May-15 16:16:31

Which bit of the North East are you looking at?

I used to work in Middlesbrough. That was quite lively! Some schools had very little turnover of staff, whilst others would take anyone with a pulse, just like most areas.

There are some lovely places to live up there.

Whattonamemyselfnow Fri 29-May-15 18:25:17

I'm thinking Sunderland Newcastle x

MossyLawn Fri 29-May-15 19:36:18

That's a bit further north than I was, so I can't really help with specific schools.

It's a great part of the world though, some lovely coastline, friendly people and reasonable housing costs. I loved it up there and it's got to be easier than the dead men's shoes situation in York

Good luck with the job hunting.

Neegan1013 Fri 29-May-15 21:41:12

I've just finished my PGCE science in the North East and of those of us who wanted to stay in the area have jobs for September (think about 15 of us).

Schools to the north of Newcastle are generally part of a 3 tier system (first, middle then high) x

Whattonamemyselfnow Sat 30-May-15 06:10:07

Thanks. Will be applying this academic year coming

superram Fri 05-Jun-15 20:22:09

Teacher jobs ok but fewer tlr positions. Should be busy in tes on Friday so get going, I know a few schools as a local if you need advice. Might be worth looking at Durham too.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 05-Jun-15 20:32:07

I manage cover in a ne school and science teachers are like gold dust (particularly physics).
Come up, it's lovely! (Not quite as North as you are planning)

CtrlAltDelicious Sat 06-Jun-15 14:23:43

Hi, I'm not far from Newcastle and have a secondary science teacher friend in the city. His school are finding it impossible to recruit Science teachers and I gather that's the case in a few of the schools around here. The department is running on a stream of supplies.

Whattonamemyselfnow Sat 06-Jun-15 19:43:25

Going to be applying in the next academic year. I'm chemistry and will look for a normal teacher job, maybe a head of Chem but I'd rather not have the hassle. Just hoping I'm not too expensive as I've been teaching 6 years

Whattonamemyselfnow Sat 06-Jun-15 19:44:19

Thanks all this seems like encouraging news!

CountryLovingGirl Sat 06-Jun-15 23:04:57

I am thinking of applying to do the science PGCE (with biology). I am a career changer (scientist in the NHS) and I have been accepted onto a primary PGCE but I am leaning more towards science (--getting cold feet about primary and wondering if I should stick with what I know best--).

Decisions...

CountryLovingGirl Sat 06-Jun-15 23:06:50

You will love it up here Whattonamemyselfnow. I am in County Durham and I love that we are close to so many nice areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now