Talk

Advanced search

Last week I was told one of my displays was 'skanky'....

(13 Posts)
mineofuselessinformation Fri 22-May-15 20:30:45

By my HoD.
Context: it's not beautiful, but it was when a class had cracked a topic and was proud, so I asked them to do a piece each for display. HoD seems to have a 'thing' about tidiness.
How would you react?

Orangeanddemons Fri 22-May-15 20:34:05

Are you in secondary? If so why are you doing a display?

mineofuselessinformation Fri 22-May-15 20:38:32

Yes I am. I'm well aware of the '24 tasks', but we're expected to do them.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 22-May-15 20:45:22

And.... I'm quite good with displays (or so I thought)...

HagOtheNorth Fri 22-May-15 20:51:56

I'd have mounted the pieces of work, added the pupils' comments and questions and made it into an interactive display. HOD is an arse, if that's the LO and they met it, you are right to be proud of them and let them know.
But that's a boss for you.
All about the show and not the substance.

Panzee Fri 22-May-15 20:57:07

Ask HoD to do it next time? (Yes, in my dreams...)

mineofuselessinformation Fri 22-May-15 21:35:40

Panzee, that's what I plan to do!

bigTillyMint Sat 23-May-15 13:15:30

You need to go into Primary schools and see how we do it - Working Wallswink
I am able to do neat and tidy displays, but some of my colleagues do really fantastic creative ones.

The worst displays I have ever seen were in my DH's school (secondary) they were depressingly bad!

echt Sat 23-May-15 22:36:07

First, does your HOD know what skanky implies? Cheeky mare.

Tell her it's writing to learn/ writing wall as suggested up thread.

stn24 Thu 28-May-15 20:05:48

Leave a blank wall so pupils can focus on the work and the work only smile

helzapoppin2 Fri 29-May-15 11:01:13

You were proud. Class is proud. That's what matters.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 29-May-15 13:27:37

Actually, I was so pissed off about it, I stripped it.
The group concerned don't mind as they've long since progressed well beyond what the display was about.
The board is completely bare. HoD asked what was going up next, 'dunno', what colour I was going to back it with, 'dunno' (it's got no backing or edging, is painted blue so appears to have a rash where the staples were removed as the white underneath is showing), was I going to put up x (something HoD thinks I should display), 'dunno'. At this point they became baffled and disappeared.
When it's next mentioned, I'll respond I don't have time to do it.
I'm due a 'learning walk' soon - if asked I shall state HoD didn't like my display, so I removed it.
I put up with a lot, but this really pushed my buttons. When I am ready to replace it, I shall ask HoD what colour, what topic, can they point me in the direction of what specifically to display, what layout etc, etc. (In other words, I shall do what they've been doing to me - asking how to do something, and then leaving me to do it. shock)

donemekmelarf Fri 29-May-15 16:51:13

A display that's too neat means that there has been too much input from the teacher/ta and not enough from the children.
A slightly messy, rough around the edges display means that the children have all had lots of input.

That's what I see (as a parent) when I look at displays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now