Talk

Advanced search

NQTs welcome to apply....

(5 Posts)
guilianna Tue 05-May-15 21:45:18

... does that mean, in practice, that if you're a bit further down the road - not loads, still MS - it's unlikely they'll want to pay you? and when is a good time to clarify pay? Sorry if a daft question but I came into teaching late and haven't needed to negotiate salary in the profession before.

MaraThonbar Tue 05-May-15 22:09:43

Not necessarily. I would interpret it as the school stating that they are willing to give an NQT the support that they need, and are entitled to, in order to pass induction. NQTs may be cheaper in terms of salary but they need mentoring, regular observations, detailed termly reports, additional training, and probably support with planning and assessment - all of which has a 'cost', if only in terms of somebody's time.

I'd ask for a conversation to negotiate pay once a verbal offer of the job has been made.

guilianna Tue 05-May-15 22:14:49

Thank you, Mara. I looked round a school today and had a feeling I might be too established/old! but I guess if they call me for interview they'd have an idea of the salary I'd be looking for, even now these things are no longer automatic. I think I'll give it a go!

MrsUltracrepidarian Wed 06-May-15 18:08:14

Also, as well as the above, NQTs have a reduced timetable, so not necessarily ideal for the school.

spanieleyes Wed 06-May-15 19:45:39

Quite! Although an NQT might be cheaper to employ, you have to factor in an additional cost for the increased supply cover needed to cover NQT time, the additional training costs before you get on to the additional in house costs. NQTs are not always a bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now