Talk

Advanced search

Noo I've left my usb in work

(36 Posts)
WombatStewForTea Fri 01-May-15 19:41:20

It's in my computer. It has my life on it. I suppose I can just about manage to get my planning done without it but it isn't going to be easy. Even worse I've got 3/4s of my maths plan on and I really can't be arsed to do it again. We have to email our planning to the head by first thing Monday otherwise I'd just leave it til then.

I've text her to see if she'll open up for me to go and get it as she lives less that 5 mins from school but heard nothing back yet.

I'm kicking myself! confused

HagOtheNorth Fri 01-May-15 19:50:55

God, I did that once obver a half term when the school wasn't open at all, for any reason. It made me neurotic about backing everything up on other devices. T
hen there was the time I lost my USB after I'd written the reports and was taking it in to print them off. Only had some of them saved.AARRGG!
Let's hope your head is reasonable.

padkin Fri 01-May-15 19:54:07

Huge sympathy. It us my nightmare scenario. I keep my USB on my key ring. I can't leave it as school it's attached to my car keys....worth doing?

Euphemia Fri 01-May-15 19:55:06

I've done this so many times that I now back it up onto my PC regularly!

There should be an alarm as you leave school if your pen drive is NOT detected. smile

WombatStewForTea Fri 01-May-15 20:04:19

padkin that's a great idea! I might have to do that!
I'm usually really paranoid about not taking it home.
I've had so many USBs broken by small people walking into them that I moved my computer under my desk! I've got some recent back ups so not the end of the world I'm just gutted about the maths plan!

toomuchicecream Fri 01-May-15 20:29:11

I also email stuff to myself regularly - that way I can pick it up anywhere!

Makingchanges Fri 01-May-15 23:00:07

For this reason, I save everything to Dropbox. That way always accessible. I hope you can get it back.

Siolence Fri 01-May-15 23:04:05

Might be worth getting a Onedrive account and saving your work there. Cloud based storage accessible from anywhere you have Internet access.

Yes I've had a USB drive flake out on me, NEVER AGAIN!

BlanketSky Fri 01-May-15 23:23:39

I did the opposite today- left my USB stick at home. with a day's worth of lessons on it. On the second day of our full Ofsted inspection... luckily I had 20 mins or so plus registration to reproduce my lesson resources (and didn't get seen in the end)

noblegiraffe Fri 01-May-15 23:28:19

Thank god we can now remote access the school network from home at my school, so I just save all my work on the school drive. Whenever I left my USB somewhere, especially if it was in a classroom that wasn't mine, an icy hand of fear would grip my heart.

mayfridaycomequickly Fri 01-May-15 23:33:02

You need a dropbox account - free file storage online. I save everything I prep on it and can open it from anywhere smile

www.dropbox.com/

IHeartKingThistle Fri 01-May-15 23:33:04

The Head wants it first thing on a Bank Holiday?!

BertieBotts Fri 01-May-15 23:37:48

It's not a bank holiday everywhere. We had ours today.

Euphemia Sat 02-May-15 06:03:20

Dropbox is blocked by our local authority. angry

mayfridaycomequickly Sat 02-May-15 07:52:19

Eh?? Ridiculous! Why would they block Dropbox? It's been the saving of me as I'm always leaving stuff at work! I teach teens and give them the password too so they can access resources, homework etc.

NonDom Sat 02-May-15 08:02:00

Logmein is a brilliant app for your computer. You can use your computer over the web, including mobile devices.

administrator Sat 02-May-15 08:05:35

And at ours too, Euphemia. When I phoned up to ask why, they said it was because they used remote servers! Anyway, they unblocked it and I use it. It's a lifesaver!

InterOuta Sat 02-May-15 08:07:28

Isn't there normally some senior staff in the school on Saturday?

My sister is on the senior leadership team and always works on Saturday and goes into school. May be worthwhile checking.

MaraThonbar Sat 02-May-15 08:49:55

Are there any Saturday morning clubs or music groups who use the site as an external booking, and for whom the building would be open?

Panzee Sat 02-May-15 08:54:28

Ugh, what Head has time to read weekly planning? What on earth can be the point? <misses point! but still...>

I'd look at it as a lucky free weekend. grin

HagOtheNorth Sat 02-May-15 08:57:35

My head used to insist on it Panzee, and we planned in phenomenal detail too.

Panzee Sat 02-May-15 09:02:05

Yuck, talk about micromanaging. I would have thought heads were too busy for that!

padkin Sat 02-May-15 09:10:33

The internet connection at my school is too dodgy to rely on Dropbox. I do have remote access from home, but it's so sloooooow that prefer to work on my laptop and save to my stick.

WombatStewForTea Sat 02-May-15 09:38:56

She won't actually want it til Tues with it being a bank holiday but she will definitely read it! She saves everyone's and blocks out time in her diary to read it! And she's been known to pull people up on things too!

I actually have Dropbox and one drive but never use them. For some reason it just doesn't feel the same! I do wish we had remote access tho!

No lettings on a Sat but caretaker lives around the corner so I might ask him nicely. I'm sure he'd be happy to open up for me but he doesn't get paid enough so thought I'd ask the head grin

I would use it as a free pass to have a lazy weekend but ill just end up stressed on
Tuesday morning!

Still no word off her. Not hard to text back with yes or no surely!

WombatStewForTea Sun 03-May-15 13:47:18

I have it back! I feel like I've been reunited with a long lost relative!
Got a call from the head to say she was in school answering some emails if I wanted to go collect it. I thought what a weirdo going into work on a Sunday to answer emails, then I realised I was sat on my laptop answering email. What a sad life we lead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now