Advanced search

No permanent contract - what should I do?

(7 Posts)
housemoverihope Sat 14-Feb-15 14:26:02

I am an NQT at an outstanding secondary, it was my first placement then got the job (did the full interview process) just before my second placement somewhere else. I am on a temporary contract and was told the other day that they weren't making me permanent but were instead readvertising as the situation in the dept I'm in isn't stable and they wanted to see who would apply. The advert went on TES the same day.

I have been asked to re-apply by my HoD (who I don't think had anything to do with it just had to tell me) but I can't help feeling that it is personal. If they'd have wanted me to stay then they would have given me a permanent contract? I have had all "good or better" observations so no particular reason I can see. Problem is if I apply and don't get it I have to stay until Sept which would be awful. I love the school (well I did until this happened!) and I love the kids and have enjoyed being there so much sad

Don't know what to do! I do know I need a thicker skin though as this has absolutely broken my heart!

Laffytaffyx Sat 14-Feb-15 14:58:11

So sorry OP that you are going with this.

It seems to me you have two options:

1. Apply at your existing school. If you get recruited on a permanent contract then; is this slight something you can overlook?

2. Apply elsewhere.

I feel for you OP I'm an NQT looking for roles and this can be heart breaking.

hijk Sat 14-Feb-15 16:12:38

This is normal, I don't think they would have had a choice, it is likely that the decision would come from governors anyway, who don't even know you.

Apply to the school again, if you are happy there. Also look around and apply elsewhere too, and if you are offered something else you like, take it.

It cuts both ways, you feel like you are not being offered the security, which is true, and quite normal, but you also have more freedom, which is a big boon these days.

hijk Sat 14-Feb-15 16:13:05

teaching breaks your heart.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 14-Feb-15 17:16:56

You applied for your current job in an open process and got it. You are now in a stronger position than you were then against external candidates so try to look at it as a positive - if you secure the permanent role, much better than just a series of temporary contracts. Good Luck!!!

PigletJohn Sat 14-Feb-15 17:42:44

Take option 1 AND option 2

Be like the school, and take whatever is the best available to you.

WowOoo Sat 14-Feb-15 17:50:09

Wise words from PigletJohn. I agree!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now