Advanced search

Tutorial writing for higher education?

(4 Posts)
Clarinet9 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:54:14

OK a quick question I may take a job where I am employed to write tutorial/lesson/lecture for higher education. Mix of labelling diagrams, information, questions, learning points etc
The idea is that these are online and last 45-60 minutes.

I have no experience of using the (new) programme to write it

So my question is does anyone have any idea how long it should take to write each tutorial? Obviously I would get quicker but how should I account for this? How much training would you expect on the programme?

I am not very techno savvy I still like to read a hard copy!

geogteach Thu 05-Feb-15 10:29:38

Slightly different but I have written material for online lessons for children who are out of school. Not sure what programme you are using but my experience is Blackboard Collaborate which is incredibly clunky. I would suggest from my experience it will take much longer than you think! Your audience is different which may help, I need to build in a fair amount of interactivity to engage students who may have low levels of literacy. Other things to consider are things like the amount of text on the screen, the actual 'whiteboard' element of the screen is smaller than you think. I spent some time yesterday with colleagues looking at recordings of sessions that had been completed, there are a lot of things to tweak, in the programme we use that is not straightforward, you need to go back to the original powerpoint and then reload that into the plan programme and then launch it will look like to a student.
I quite enjoy it but it is not the main part of my job, I suspect if I was doing it all the time I would get more efficient but in our case at least the programme we use is not straightforward.

Clarinet9 Thu 05-Feb-15 10:47:01

I am quite fearful of it TBH
I am under the impression the programme is new so won't put it on here since I suspect it will out me.

The current talk seems to be just under 10 hour a tutorial I have no idea whether that is wildly optimistic or hugely conservative (I suspect the former)

Clarinet9 Fri 06-Feb-15 13:54:58

Bump for me in case anyone else is out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now