Advanced search

Victorian day at school

(6 Posts)
18yearstooold Sat 31-Jan-15 19:25:04

Expected to dress up in Victorian style

I've got a long skirt and a wrap/shawl

Can I get away with a short sleeved shirt?

How seriously do people take these things?

cosmicglittergirl Sat 31-Jan-15 19:44:37

I've done a few of these, we weren't particularly strict, one year I wore a Victoriana style black blouse from amazon with a long black skirt. The last time I did it I was heavily pregnant (Victorians would never have had a pregnant teacher as I told chn) I wore a long black mat skirt, billowy white blouse and black shawl I looked more serving wench than teacher! There's options to hire/buy costumes but I really don't think it matters. The best part of it is having a day of complete silence while the children dare potatoes (a real Victorian lesson!) and practising their copperplate writing.

cosmicglittergirl Sat 31-Jan-15 19:45:08

Draw, not dare

18yearstooold Sat 31-Jan-15 22:18:20

It will definitely be interesting to see some of them be silent!

toomuchicecream Sun 01-Feb-15 09:16:12

I wear my sari petticoat (full length, blue with a small ruff round the bottom - £3 from Southall!) with a plain white M&S blouse and a cameo broach at the neck. Black boots and a crochet bedspread wrapped round as a shawl to complete the look.

toomuchicecream Sun 01-Feb-15 09:16:45

Oh - and with the addition of a straw hat and umbrella the same outfit became Mary Poppins for book day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now