Talk

Advanced search

Had my PGDE interview yesterday and think I failed it?

(37 Posts)
sweetkitty Sat 31-Jan-15 08:42:19

That's it really, I was first in, was nervous and just feel I didn't answer the questions properly, I waffled, missed off loads of stuff I've done, loads of experiences I've had working in school etc. I went on about how realistic I am about the workload, how hard teaching is but on the plus side I was quite passionate about how I want yo be a teacher.

I'm so down feel it was my one shot and I blew it. Suppose there's always next year hmm

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 31-Jan-15 11:59:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tabulahrasa Sat 31-Jan-15 12:09:06

Did they lean over halfway through and pat you reassuringly on the shoulder and tell you not to be scared?

If not, you did better than me blush. Surprisingly I was turned down...can't think why.

Fourarmsv2 Sat 31-Jan-15 23:28:16

I came out of mine and cried for about a day solidly. I knew I'd blown it. Three years later I've completed my NQT year and now work at the school where my PGCE interview took place. It might not be the bad news you expect. smile

Caronaim Sun 01-Feb-15 08:43:42

As an ex teacher, the best thing that can possibly happen for you is to get turned down.

don't be a teacher, you think it is all about educating and supporting children, you could not be more wrong. You don't get any say in anything you do, it is all done by formula, and the formula keeps secretly changing, nothing you do can actually EVER be classed as "good enough" EVER EVER EVER, most of your time is spent recording and reporting and assessing, ( and you assess yourself more than you assess any class, and three quarters of your life will be devoted to bowing down to the great God OFSTED and paying homage through the sacrifice of paperwork.

It is slave labour. Don't get hooked in. Everybody else is desperately struggling to get out, but htere aren't enough life boats.

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 08:45:24

not bitter, eh?

I have been teaching for twenty years. I adore going to work.
in y day it was a piece of piss to train, so I cant help there but if you are energetic, imaginative , fun and resilient it will be amazing

Lizzylou Sun 01-Feb-15 08:56:38

Don't worry! I thought I had completely blown my chances this time last year, I hadn't.
I am almost halfway through my training and really enjoying it.
It is hard work, and the paperwork and planning etc is seemingly endless but it is the best thing that I have ever done.
Hope you get some good news.

Caronaim Sun 01-Feb-15 09:55:37

energetic, imaginative fun and resilience has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The teachers who survive are the ones who:

a) permanently work to rule, right form day one
b) have no outside family children friends etc
c) Can skimp and cheat and rush work through and get away with it
d) Play the game, don't step outside the box, don't put their head above the parapet
e) Lie and fake
f)disregard the welfare of pupils and colleagues
g) don't stand still, keep on moving round jobs and schools, and con their way up the ladder and out of the classroom as fast as possible.
h) any combination of the above PLUS a massive dose of luck.

Absolutely it is not the caring, energetic, imaginative, resilient teachers who last. i have seen dozens of caring, energetic, imaginative, resilient teachers ground into tiny pieces by the ofsted machine, and spat out as total physical and emotional wrecks.

I'm not bitter, I'm out and free!

I'm just angry at the level of abuse thousands of teachers in the uk are still living through.

threepiecesuite Sun 01-Feb-15 10:30:36

As depressing as it sounds, Caronaim is pretty spot on there.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sun 01-Feb-15 10:50:03

sorry, but I agree with Caronaim sad

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 14:14:49

That's bollocks Caronaim

a) permanently work to rule, right form day one <What do you mean? im asking you lying on the sofa where I plan to read all afternoon
b) have no outside family children friends etc. <I go out at least once a week socially and exercise three times a week
c) Can skimp and cheat and rush work through and get away with it. <? Or just "can do it"?
d) Play the game, don't step outside the box, don't put their head above the parapet. < Oh I certainly do told the head her chat to parents utterly confused them this week.
e) Lie and fake < ABOUT?!!
f)disregard the welfare of pupils and colleagues. <WHAT? I still have RL friends from my first job. Go out of my way to help current and past students.
g) don't stand still, keep on moving round jobs and schools, and con their way up the ladder and out of the classroom as fast as possible. < NOPE.
h) any combination of the above"
Oh and I combine this with a voluntary job
I think you are nuts.

threepiecesuite Sun 01-Feb-15 14:19:59

Reading through Caronaim's list, a number of current colleagues came to mind...

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 14:21:01

Maybe it's just not for them then. Some of us love it.

Caronaim Sun 01-Feb-15 14:32:14

Armpitt, I stand by my list. if you don't recognise yourself on it, fine. there is no "just can do it". It is not humanly possible to "just can do it" all, if you think you can, fine. Of course maybe you are a one in a million super star immortal angel who can time travel, and work at ten times the speed of humans. Maybe.

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 14:41:03

What an utterly discouraging post to put to somebody who wants to be a teacher, maybe because your experience was bad and you admit it wasn't the right job for you

Caronaim Sun 01-Feb-15 15:12:39

It isn't the right job for any of my friends and colleagues, it isn't the right job for anyone I know,

Why should I write an "encouraging" post?

far far kinder to give Op a more realistic view of the trap she is walking into. Hopefully in 5 years time she won't be crying in bed every night in private, crying openly in the staffroom regularly, to hitting herself on the head repeatedly shouting WHY WHY WHY did I listen to the government lies

Caronaim Sun 01-Feb-15 15:13:26

and by the way Armpitt, I was judged to be outstanding for over a decade.

threepiecesuite Sun 01-Feb-15 15:22:04

We should not perpetuate the myth that teaching is a good and rewarding career. The entire profession is in crisis. It's time we all started shouting about it.
I would not recommend it as a career to anybody, and I'm very clear about that whenever anyone asks.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sun 01-Feb-15 15:52:42

Completely agree that prospective teachers really deserve to hear all sides - not jus the guff and glossy brochures. It would help if on the 10 day visits to schools, instead of just observing selected lessons, they could properly shadow a teacher 24 hours a day for a week grin to see all the work that goes on outside the classroom/school - time in the classroom is the fun stuff - it everything else that is a relentless slog.

Skatingfastonthinice Sun 01-Feb-15 15:58:08

Oh come on, the system will collapse without new cannon fodder.
For The Sake of The Children...
<blows whistle and preps ladders>
Over The Top We Go

susannahmoodie Sun 01-Feb-15 16:02:01

PGDE not PGCE would imply the OP is in Scotland where the pressures are less intense than in England as far as I'm aware.

Fwiw I'm a ft teacher in England (secondary) and I love my job. No one ever believes me on here though!!

Think it's all about finding the right school.

Ridingthestorm Sun 01-Feb-15 16:33:34

Agree with Caronaim completely and whoelheartedly. I know of teachers who hide behind the technology to scrape them through a lesson observation (head LOVES apple tech stuff) yet many SLT members do not rate the teacher and another who has taught the same year group for the past 11 years and it being a year group that SLT have no experience of and have no clue as to what constitutes a 'good' lesson. She prints off the same lesson plans year after year and had three other staff the her classroom to do all the shitty stuff. No wnoder she leaves at 4pm!

I would not encourage anyone in England to go into teacher training at the moment. It is at crisis point and certainly whilst I have been in the career (14 years) it can change dramatically depending not just on the government but the education secretary too. OFSTED change their goalposts constantly and don't allow schools any chance to implement anything. Teachers are in a profession of constant change and with no idea what the future holds for them; by that I mean come September!

Bide your time and wait to see how things change after the election. The morale of teachers has been in dramatic decline since the coalition and it took years and years for the status quo to be changed last time round. It will be more than a quick fix this time round and may end up being a good 5 years or so before things start to improve.

Just do not go into education now.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sun 01-Feb-15 16:39:07

Over The Top We Go grin

sweetkitty Sun 01-Feb-15 18:02:49

Oh dear I've opened a can of worms shock

I am indeed in Scotland so it's different we have no OFSTED, we have other pressures of course.

I have been volunteering in my childrens school for 2 years and I have 3 children at school soon to be four.

I've asked every teacher I know would they recommend it, they all said its hard work but yes they love their jobs.

rollonthesummer Sun 01-Feb-15 19:07:44

I agree with everything Caronaim has said.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: