Talk

Advanced search

Would you do your NQT in an independent school?

(18 Posts)
NotQuiteThere Fri 30-Jan-15 20:50:33

Just that, really.

Starting to look for jobs come September, and I've been invited for interview at an independent school. I'm going to go and get a feel for the place, but wondered if anyone had any experience of doing this - and if so, did it restrict you when applying for jobs later on in your career?

40thisisit Fri 30-Jan-15 20:57:13

I am now in my nqt year and started off at an independent school. Was very excited about it all before starting but it was just not for me. Lots of reasons which I'll go into if you want but I was lucky to 'escape' last month to move back to the state sector.
I was warned not to go into the independent sector by the Head of my PGCE placement but I was so happy to have been offered the job I overlooked his advice.

NotQuiteThere Fri 30-Jan-15 21:01:57

It would be great if you could elaborate please?

What was it that made it not right for you?

I was educated at an independent school, so I feel as if I know what to expect, but I won't know for sure until I meet the staff and department. There's a part of me which feels .... don't know .... guilty? for considering it, as the children will generally be privileged, and have more support (financially, if not anything else) than their state counterparts. I suppose I don't feel very altruistic, but not sure if I'm being silly.

FabulousFudge Sat 31-Jan-15 08:54:44

I wouldn't do it and don't think it's a good idea. If I were you I wouldn't consider it from a moral point of view but more from a career progression and how this might potentially limit opportunities for you in the future.

I think you'd have a better nqt experience in a state school. You'd get your 10% non contact time, support from your mentor etc. I don't think that this would be guaranteed in an independent.

You could do your nqt in a state school and then move to an independent school in your second, third, fourth year, if you'd still like to do so.

Coconutty Sat 31-Jan-15 08:59:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldRoan Sat 31-Jan-15 09:04:55

I wouldn't. I went to private school and the deputy head (+ class teacher + mentor) on my long placement was unspeakably rude about it. He kept saying my teaching style reflected my background and that was a negative thing for "these kids who won't ever have anything". He was a nasty man, but he still had a say in hiring/firing. There is no way he would have hired someone whose only experience was a private school.

Luckily I don't think there are many SLT members that bitter and unpleasant, but I wouldn't risk it in terms of moving schools afterwards.

Pickledmouse Sat 31-Jan-15 09:05:09

I did my NQT in an independent school 4 years ago. I was and still am very happy there. As an NQT I taught 20 out of 30 lessons a week so plenty of PPA and as a qualified teacher I am now on about 22/30. Better pay, better holidays, amazing kids. Great support offered. I think it very much depends on the school. I'd say go and get a feel for it - don't discount it yet.

InJillianWeTrust Sat 31-Jan-15 09:12:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

40thisisit Sat 31-Jan-15 09:29:41

Some of the problems at my independent school were: - I had one of the heaviest teaching timetables, the Head was adamant he didn't have to listen to the nqt rules; the children were mainly very spoilt and disrespectful; I had to run 3 activities/sports; I think working Saturdays and Thursdays til 11pm on boarding house duty finished it off for me.
Good luck though with what you decide

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 31-Jan-15 09:52:19

Definitely go for the interview - all interview experience is useful, and you can precisely ask the question about the workload and mentoring support for NQTs
40thisisit did you not find out about the workload before taking the job?
All schools in all sectors are different in their expectations, so crazy not to ask detailed questions before you commit to any school.
And yes, PGCE tutors are usually against it - someone I know at a very well know institution was told not to go for indie jubs as it 'would be counted in Uni stats as unemployed and would be bad for the tutor's and unis performance tables...' shock
After training I deliberately decide to do supply as had seen NQTs like 40thisisit grabbing any job so as to have a job without proper due diligence. I will only take and NQT job if I can see precisely what I am letting myself in for and probably and indie - I work in many schools mix in the staff room s talk to the teacher working there, and some with very shiny buildings and glossy PR (state schools) I would go now where near as an NQT.

CharlesRyder Sat 31-Jan-15 11:41:58

Think it's fine if you plan to stay in the independent sector.

DH did his teacher training and NQT year in an independent school, fully intending to stay in 13-18. He has had no shortage of career options and is Deputy of a major public school 12 years on.

However, I think there are state schools out there who would look sideways at a candidate who had only taught in independent schools.

teacher54321 Sat 31-Jan-15 18:55:37

I did my NQT year in an indie, and got my 10% extra PPA time and had a mentor etc. I was fine. There was a massive amount of extra curricular and pastoral workload but I got a free house on site and loads of perks. Meant we could save up and get married etc and live in a very expensive area of the South East. I'm a music teacher, and although secondary trained now teach in a private prep school.

I have no regrets at all about my training, and zero intention of moving into the state sector.

NotQuiteThere Sat 31-Jan-15 19:05:09

Thank you for all of your comments!

My PGCE tutor has said that if it feels right then to go for it. I will definitely be asking about teaching hours and NQT support as well at interview. I guess I have some reservations around whether the pupils would be spoilt or entitled (as mentioned by a poster upthread - but being from an independent, i know that this is not going to always be the case) and the extra hours/weekends. Lots to ask!

Just waiting for lesson details to come through now. Nervous!

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 31-Jan-15 19:14:53

Pupils not likely to be more or less spoiled and entitled than any other school - certainly I have taught in state schools where the sense of entitlement (by some pupils) was enormous - entitlement to do no work as all their family did fine without ever having worked...
Most kids everywhere are lovely though!
Good luck!!!

FabulousFudge Sat 31-Jan-15 19:55:30

All children are lovely - don't worry about that! Good luck!

NotQuiteThere Sat 31-Jan-15 21:10:37

Thanks everyone smile.

I've had a lovely first teaching placement, was very sad to move on but looking forward to my second teaching placement too. What you say about most/all children being lovely is so true. I miss my students!

teacher54321 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:26:33

I've taught amazing kids in state schools and amazing kids in private schools. I've taught neglected kids in both, I've taught difficult kids in both. Children are children wherever they may be. And I like the freedom of the independent sector. Don't get e wrong, there are issues, but the pros outweigh the cons.

FabulousFudge Sat 31-Jan-15 22:14:50

I agree with that completely. I have done state and independent sector too. I prefer independent as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: