Talk

Advanced search

Quitting whilst on maternity leave

(7 Posts)
StaircaseAtTheUniversity Thu 29-Jan-15 14:37:34

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm a secondary teacher, on my 7th month of a years maternity leave. Another job has come up in a different local authority- closer to home and more convenient hours than have been discussed at my school. There's no formal arrangement for me to go back yet. I've applied for the other job. If by some fluke I were to get an interview and then get the job what's the situation with notice and stuff in my current job?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PretzelPrincess Thu 29-Jan-15 15:23:47

Just marking my place, I'd q like to know this too

StaircaseAtTheUniversity Thu 29-Jan-15 16:05:21

Cheers Pretzel. Bumping this hoping someone knows! smile

TheJiminyConjecture Thu 29-Jan-15 16:11:27

As far as I'm aware you'd need to pay back your maternity pay if you take a job in a different local authority.

In terms of notice, you have to give notice as you would if you weren't on maternity leave.

MsFiremanSam Thu 29-Jan-15 22:08:00

Same notice period as if you were there. I did the same as you and managed to negotiate not having to pay anything back.

HettyD Thu 29-Jan-15 22:16:30

Have you put your current headteacher as a reference? It is usually customary in teaching to tell current school if applying for job...as they will ask for reference before interviews...good luck!!

Izzy82 Fri 30-Jan-15 19:40:15

So as to not pay the money back, you need to work 13 weeks full time or 26 weeks part time. You may have to brace yourself to going in just before the may half term and working until 31st August

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: