Advanced search

PGCE funding

(5 Posts)
TheSilverSwan Wed 28-Jan-15 13:48:14


I have been offered a place on a flexible PGCE course but they have just announced that the course will now be spread over 2 years, not 1.

Any ideas what else I could get on top of the bursary? I have two children (almost 11 and 6) and a husband earning approximately £28K. I am still working (NHS) but plan on leaving before the first placement. I wouldn't be allowed time off for the placements anyway.

Now panicking I may not get the maintenance grant. Anyone else been through this as a mature student?

Caronaim Wed 28-Jan-15 20:37:46

Why do you want to do a PGCE?

thecatfromjapan Wed 28-Jan-15 23:29:59

Contact your college. I was worried about possibly doing a PGCE as a single parent. I wasn't even enrolled at a college (though I did want to go there) and their bursar's office went through every bit of funding I'd be eligible for.
Which was something I was very grateful to them for.
There is also always tutoring and supply (as TA and/or some schools seem to employ unqualified graduates as cover staff shock) work if you are doing it p/t.
Good luck!

catslife Thu 29-Jan-15 11:38:30

You need to ask the college. I did a part-time PGCE, but we were expected to have paid work for the time we weren't in college. There was a (very small) grant, but that was only enough to cover travel and learning expenses.
Usually for part-time courses any grants or bursaries would be on a pro-rata basis.

MrsMot Thu 29-Jan-15 22:08:10

Check if your uni has scholarships for over 25s. Lots do to encourage mature students.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: