Advanced search

Returning to primary part time after mat leave?

(3 Posts)
Riri85 Mon 26-Jan-15 11:20:04

Hi all,

I am currently on mat leave and have decided to take the full year off (last 12 weeks unpaid) and want to go back part time.
My main questions are -
1. Did you have to write to your head informing them of your plans? If so how did you word your request?
2. Can anyone explain keeping in touch days and how many you get/when you use them?

Maidupmum Mon 26-Jan-15 18:57:39

I'm a HT. Yes, you do have to formally request a permanent change in contract from the Governors. This isn't about you 'informing' them - there has to be a PT position for you and you have to ASK.
If you google 'flexible working request for teachers' it should come up with the standard letter frame that you use. The school don't have to say yes & it is up to you to prove that your requests fits the needs of the school.
KIT days can be used for a variety of reasons - INSET days, meetings that you should attend, class handover etc. You get paid for these on top of your SMP I think. You get 5 of them but you don't have to use them. The school can request that you do but can'y enforce them.

Riri85 Mon 26-Jan-15 20:39:43

Thank you Maidupmum-I think my wording was slightly wrong-I understand I don't get to tell the school what I want to do and that it is a request-this is especially true as there are a few of us returning to work around the same time all of whom want part time!
I shall look up the formal request you mention and hopefully that should help!
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: