Talk

Advanced search

On supply contract - is my employer my school or agency?

(5 Posts)
Appervine Sat 24-Jan-15 20:48:22

I am on a long term supply contract and applying for a permanent job closer to home. On the application I have to state my current employer who, technically, is my agency. I've been at my current school since may half term last year. They'll be happy to give me a reference but is that ok? I'm not on a the normal pay scale, just a daily supply rate so I have to be honest on the form as that's one of the questions. Is it standard to put my school down as my employer?

PicInAttic Sat 24-Jan-15 21:25:57

Employer is supply agency, I think, so have to go on but could you put school as an additional reference?
May be worth checking with supply agency whether school will have to pay a 'release fee' for you if you get the job - often do if you have done any supply whatsoever with the school thru the agency.

Appervine Sat 24-Jan-15 22:06:35

Thanks. The job I'm applying for is at a different place where I've not done supply work do the school wouldn't have to pay to release me. I'm in a single school and have been since last year.

The application form states that one reference has to be from current employer but if it's the agency, apart from knowing I turn up every day, they have no idea how well I'm doing my job. But the school I'm actually in does and I know would give me a great reference. The head from my previous school would also do me a good one so it seems as though I'm wasting an opportunity to sell myself if I can't put them down.

Frustrating. I'll chat to the agency and see what she suggests.

FamilyAdventure Sat 24-Jan-15 22:19:44

The references are really for safeguarding purposes. i.e. just to check that you're who you say you are and you have been working where you say you have. They are very unlikely to have any bearing on whether you get the job or not. Most responses these days only confirm that you were employed between X & Y dates, so don't worry about it. I'd give the agency as your employer and the school as your 2nd referee

Appervine Sun 25-Jan-15 06:37:01

Oh really? Ok. Thanks. It's been a while since I did an official job application.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: