Talk

Advanced search

Handing in my notice... How do I actually do it?

(23 Posts)
PrincessSlayer Sun 18-Jan-15 13:12:05

Hello, hoping some more experienced teachers can give me some advice.
I'm an NQT and am planning to hand in my notice in a few weeks to leave at easter due to being so unhappy in my school.

Without going into too much detail, the pressures are insane (I'm also told by others that I'm being bullied) and I just can't cope any more. I've always been graded outstanding and I love the job, but need to get away from this school!

However, I have never resigned before and am not sure how to do it - do I need to tell the head face-to-face before I tell her in writing?
Any advice on what to do/what not to do when it comes to what will be a horribly awkward situation would be much appreciated!

saadia Sun 18-Jan-15 13:50:24

I did exactly the same last year. I went to tell the Head and he asked me to write it up straightaway so perhaps keep a letter in your bag just in case. I was told at the time that it's better to have a conversation first and to then give the letter a day or two later.

Guilianna Sun 18-Jan-15 18:04:33

I like to have the letter in my hand when I go in. You've done well to teach at such a high level in a demanding situation. They might try and talk you out of it, so be prepared (hence the letter).

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Jan-15 18:11:49

Not a teacher, but whenever I have resigned, i have arranged a mtg with my line manager and had a letter ready. You needn't hand it over if you think it's worded inappropriately after you've had a chat. My letters have only ever said stuff like "please take this letter as notice of my resignation. I intend to leave on x date according to my notice period. Thank you very much for the oppurtunities you have given me, but I for it it time for me to move on".

KinkyDorito Sun 18-Jan-15 18:14:27

You need a formal letter of resignation, so definitely write the letter. You are completely within your rights to leave, so don't feel intimidated by going and handing that letter in - you are making a strong statement. If you are really worried go and speak to your union. If you aren't in one, join one NOW. People think they don't need them until something goes wrong. They can be a lifeline and cover your legal costs should anything happen in the future.

It also needs to be in before February half term if you want to finish at Easter, so don't leave it too long.

If you want to continue working, you will find plenty of Easter start jobs in the TES currently and you can apply and go for interview whilst working where you are now.

Hulababy Sun 18-Jan-15 18:52:08

You need to put it in writing, but it is better, where possible, to also go and see the HT, letter in hand, to tell them in person.

How will it affect your NQT year?

FabulousFudge Sun 18-Jan-15 23:10:02

Just write a very brief letter stating that you are resigning and that you last day worked will be xxx. You do not have to give reasons why (or verbally.) There are loads of examples online.

Take it into her office with you, tell her you're resigning and then explain that you have put it in writing so that she can appoint your replacement. Then you can leave at half term and never look back!

PrussianBlue Mon 19-Jan-15 07:08:39

sorry you're having a difficult time.

Keep it very factual, it's a contractual document - there is no obligation to write 'thank you for the opportunities' etc. in fact, don't under any circumstances do that because that might prejudice any claim you might have for constructive dismissal you may wish to make later, or if you are supporting an ex-colleague's complaint. That aside, don't thank them, simply because you're leaving due to poor SLT and high demands. If teachers don't say this when they leave then things are unlikely to improve. By the same token, ask for an exit interview.

toomuchicecream Mon 19-Jan-15 18:34:54

When I was an NQT I clearly remember a training session where the bod from County showed us a line graph of NQTs' feelings throughout their first year of teaching. It started high in September, with the euphoria of having your own first class, and hit rock bottom in January - dark mornings, dark evenings, coughs & colds and seemingly ages to the next holiday. It's certainly been true in each of the 10 years I've been teaching - January is always my low point, and things start to get gradually better as the daffodils come out!

I'm not dismissing how fed up you're feeling at the moment, and I know how relieved you'll feel when you've committed yourself so you really can start the count down, but if you think there's any chance at all that you might be feeling over-whelmed because of that January trough, hold out for a few more weeks before you hand your notice in. It doesn't have to be in before February half term - you have until 28th February (just checked the Burgundy Book on-line). So you could give yourself the half term break and see how you feel when you come back. If you think you can bear to complete your NQT year at your current school it would be easier for you in the long run.

Nonie241419 Mon 19-Jan-15 20:21:10

I managed to stagger through my NQT year and resigned at the October half term of my second year. I wrote a fairly generic letter, but addressed it to the chair of governors, rather than my Head. I never had a face to face conversation with her about me going, although she knew I was looking for another job as she'd been approached for references.
I massively, massively struggled in that first year, to the extent that my hair started falling out. In retrospect, a lot of the pressure I was under was coming from me and my own lack of confidence rather than from the school (I found my NQT file a year or so ago and was shocked by how positive the reports and observations were, as I hadn't remembered them like that AT ALL).

KinkyDorito Tue 20-Jan-15 09:10:42

toomuch I feel like this after a decade grin. That line graph follows my mood annually!

toomuchicecream Tue 20-Jan-15 17:50:04

Kinky - I feel exactly like that at the moment too, also in my 10th year of teaching! I've almost decided to give up my plans to pursue a permanent deputy head job (currently doing maternity cover) and drop my hours to 4 days a week if possible. The only thing stopping me from making a final decision is the knowledge that it's January and things always get on top of me at this time of year!

KinkyDorito Tue 20-Jan-15 17:55:30

I'm stepping back from my crazy pursuit of a career - I'll still be FT, but FT handing things back and saying no. I've had enough of putting family second. I just feel far more resentful in January - it's easier when you are coming home in sunshine and can try and get out on an evening (work permitting, obviously grin).

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Tue 20-Jan-15 18:03:39

Yep, it's Resentful January at our school too, we are all miserable and a bit mutinous.
OP- are you planning to stay in teaching? It can be easier to move from a job to a job, rather than from being out of contract. Could you start applying and not resign until your have something in the pipeline?

MaybeDoctor Tue 20-Jan-15 18:13:05

Remember to put your 'last day of service' as the last day of the spring term eg. the end of the Easter Holidays

Dixiechick1991 Tue 20-Jan-15 19:59:53

Hi,
I'm an NQT too, I left my first job at Christmas because I wasnt happy and felt completely unsupprted in a very difficult class.
I've now moved to a new school to complete my NQT induction and I love it so far, I'm so glad I didn't just throw in the towel and tried a different school.
Some schools just don't suit everyone.
Re: the resignation - I arranged a meeting first and said I wanted to leave & the next day brought in a letter so there could be no question that I hadn't resigned in time.

At least you've only got 2 short half terms to get through haha - those winter half terms of 8&7 were so slow when you're cohnting the days!

KinkyDorito Tue 20-Jan-15 20:12:14

Yep, it's Resentful January at our school too, we are all miserable and a bit mutinous. grin grin grin This cracked me up. Such truth!

ImperialBlether Tue 20-Jan-15 20:19:35

How will it affect your NQT if you don't stay until the summer?

Who is bullying you? Will you talk to the headteacher about this? (Of course it might be the headteacher who's bullying you.)

MaraThonbar Wed 21-Jan-15 19:44:29

Do you plan to look for something else for the summer? If you're absolutely sure, and you are able / willing / planning to resign without another job to go to, then the ht will appreciate as much notice as possible. S/he can't recruit your replacement without your letter. Request a face-to-face meeting and explain your decision; keep it calm and unemotional. Tell her that you will place a letter on her desk by the end of the day and keep the letter short: 'further to our conversation I write to confirm my resignation, effective from [date].' If the ht realises that you have gone out of your way to be considerate then this can go a long way to preserve goodwill and prevent your last weeks being soured.

Your next priority is then to protect your second NQT assessment. Hopefully your NQT mentor and the ht are two different people. Go straight to your mentor after the ht to make sure that s/he hears it from you, and explain the situation. A good second assessment will be vital to help you to secure a job to complete induction.

Tollygunge Wed 21-Jan-15 19:47:50

I would personally stay and finish my nqt year if it was at all feasible. It's s real pain having to do it at the start of s new job.

PrincessSlayer Wed 21-Jan-15 22:17:12

Sorry, rough week (as bloody always grin)
Thanks so much for all the advice. I definitely want to stay in teaching - that I still want this after everything that's happened is quite something! It's the head that's doing the bullying - and it really is, I'm not just having an NQT meltdown - which makes everything yet more awkward.
I am in contact with my Union now, who are really supportive.
It was comforting in a grim sort of way to hear others have been through similar experiences!
Oh well, not that much of Resentful January left! wine

toomuchicecream Thu 22-Jan-15 20:18:40

In that case get out. You've made the right decision. Good luck.

FabulousFudge Thu 22-Jan-15 23:18:31

As someone who has been there, you are absolutely doing the right thing. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: