Talk

Advanced search

Would leaving at Easter affect my chances of future employment?

(7 Posts)
Ellie6655 Sat 17-Jan-15 17:59:38

I have been working at my current school for a year and a half. About 6 months after I joined, the school was placed into Special Measures (it was previously Good.) Since then it has gone through a lot of change and the last year has been extremely difficult.

Our previous Headteacher recently resigned and although our new Headteacher has made a lot of positive changes, it is very stressful as there are constant 'drop ins', observations and learning walks. I have always been rated as a Good teacher with elements of Outstanding but I am starting to feel miserable. I dread coming to work and the whole atmosphere is very negative. Our school's behaviour policy is currently being reviewed as there are a handful of children in the area I teach (Upper KS2) who are persistently in trouble and we have nothing over them. We have no Golden Time to take away, we are not allowed to keep them in at break times and the SLT do not deal with any incidents of misbehaviour.

For example, on Friday lunchtime a boy from my class punched another child in the face. The Deputy Head was supposed to deal with it, but at 2 pm (while I was teaching) I got a phone call asking me to sort it out. I tried to in the best way I could but I wasn't happy because I had 30 children in my care at that time and it was impossible to deal with an incident like that appropriately and give it the time it deserved. On top of that, my class behaved abysmally all afternoon and by the end of the day, I felt so demoralised. I just wanted to leave and never come back.

The recent decline in behaviour is because of how unstable our year group currently is. In our year group (3 form entry), one teacher has left and the school have been unable to find a replacement so the children in that class have supply teachers every day. The other teacher is rarely in the class due to courses (she is a member of the SLT) so as a result, I feel alone and unsupported.

I am considering resigning at the end of February and leaving at Easter if things carry on like this because I am at the end of my tether. It's not just the year group problems but everything. I am constantly asked to run things by the leadership team and I spent a lot of time on these things, only to be given no thanks and ignored in meetings. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of and I would just like to get out of this whole situation as it's affecting my health.

Would leaving early impact negatively on my career if I worked full notice but left before July? I am hoping to move away from full time teaching anyway and try to find either a part time or pastoral role in a school. I'm just worried that I will find it difficult to get another job if I leave at Easter, before the end of the year.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? I'm finding things so difficult and I feel so under appreciated.

caravanista13 Sat 17-Jan-15 18:05:16

As a retired Head I would have no concerns about employing someone who left at Easter. People need to leave schools for all sorts of reasons and I've never known it to be held against them. Good luck with your decision.

FabulousFudge Sat 17-Jan-15 18:11:58

I am considering leaving at Easter too, as I'm unhappy in my current school. We have a month to decide!

I believe that no job is worth your health or happiness.

I have contacted the supply agencies I used to work for before I became permanent again and asked them to contact me with any summer term jobs that come up between now and half term. I am hoping to secure a maternity cover for a couple of terms to one year. I would consider any full time, part time and also TA roles.

I also check the tes jobs weekly and my council website in case something comes up there. I have my supporting statement and CV updated ready.

If you are considering supply, I find you don't get as much in the summer term. It means that between Easter and Oct half term, you wouldn't get much work in my experience. I tutor and look after people's children too. Word of mouth is the best way to get supply work.

I don't believe that if would be detrimental to your future job opportunities, but that's just my opinion. I have left a job without having a job to go to, as I figured the loss of confidence would be the biggest barrier.

Justtoobad Sat 17-Jan-15 18:41:10

It would make no difference to future employer, do it, get yourself straight and apply for other jobs. Or worry about applying later.
You're more important.

rollonthesummer Sat 17-Jan-15 22:51:10

I have been at my school for a very long time and have seen many many people leave and join part way through the year due to a wide array of reasons. Nobody will think badly of you and I think leaving a school in SM is reason enough!

Write your notice now-you will feel better for it and there are loads of jobs out there. Teachers are dropping like flies because the job's so bloody awful at the moment-you can pick something far nicer than that smile

Meirasa Tue 20-Jan-15 23:01:30

I left a school I loathed in April once. I traveled for the rest of the summer. It was amazing. I have since worked in a top European and now a top UK school. It didn't affect my ability to get a job, I was really honest about it. My references, my lessons, interviews and most importantly results speak for themselves. I still love the job and if I hadn't left, I am sure I would no longer be teaching! x

MaraThonbar Wed 21-Jan-15 12:08:03

It wouldn't concern me. You may even find a school that wants you from May half term, meaning that you'd be paid over the hols smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: