Talk

Advanced search

RWI and guided reading

(6 Posts)
padkin Wed 14-Jan-15 21:36:02

If you are a RWI school, could I ask if you do additional weekly guided reading sessions as well in Y1 and Y2?

Maidupmum Wed 14-Jan-15 21:37:52

Yes we do.

temporarilyjerry Wed 14-Jan-15 22:29:50

Yes, we do too, though we have been advised by our trainer that it isn't necessary.

padkin Wed 14-Jan-15 22:39:27

My issue is that we struggle with time to do both, but as a class teacher, with many of my children in RWI groups that I don't teach, I feel I need guided reading to stay on top of where my class are with their reading.

Do RWI teachers/TAs keep reading records on individuals in their group to pass back to class teachers, or just general daily evaluations?

In Y1 I had a small class and was able to listen to them read individually each week so felt I was keeping tabs on them, but in Y2 with a huge class I simply don't have time, and so without guided reading there are some children who I don't officially hear read. And I'm not comfortable with that. What to do?!
I'm uncomfortable with that

TeaAndALemonTart Wed 14-Jan-15 22:44:51

Yep, every day. They have a book to record it in which gets signed by either the TA or teacher. Then parents sign it too.

temporarilyjerry Thu 15-Jan-15 19:48:50

We only do RWInc 4 days a week. On the fifth day, we have 4 TAs going to each class in turn to do guided reading along with the class teacher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: