Talk

Advanced search

Can heads observe us as often as they like?

(8 Posts)
KateBeckett Mon 12-Jan-15 20:33:18

I know there used to be a limit of 3 observations a year, but I think Pob/Gove it rid of that when he was chief despot?

Just wondering if there are any limits on how often heads / salt can observe / drop in / learning walk / scrutinise books?

As it all seems to have gotten a bit much at my school right now, and I'm not sure where we as a teaching staff stand. sad

Got told today we are having mocksted tomorrow am Wednesday and a few year groups were til at lunchtime their books and assessments needed to be handed in by the end of the day for scrutiny (thankfully not my year group, but I really feel for those colleagues...)

KateBeckett Mon 12-Jan-15 20:34:02

SLT no salt!!

KateBeckett Mon 12-Jan-15 20:34:48

I give up... /autocorrect

Athrawes Mon 12-Jan-15 20:37:28

Personally I would like more casual pop in, walk by, so that rather than being set absurd targets without having seen what we are doing, senior management can have a more realistic idea.

LuluJakey1 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:41:21

Yes, Heads or their representatives can observe as often as they wish. Any with common sense will be working with unions so as not to over-pressure staff and cause ill-will but Gove removed any restrictions.

KateBeckett Mon 12-Jan-15 20:44:15

Yes, but that is no what is happening. We are having a mock ofsted, heaped on top of almost weekly drop ins, termly book scrutinies, observations and pupil interviews by subject leaders, etc etc etc.
It feels a bit much tbh!

KateBeckett Mon 12-Jan-15 20:45:07

Thanks lulu that is what I was worried about... sad

LuluJakey1 Mon 12-Jan-15 23:08:32

Are you in a union?
Do you work in an academy?

Union instruction is not to co-operate in any way with mock-OfSTEDs, so your union should be talking to your headteacher. Unless of course, you work in an academy, in which case they usually do as they like. The problem with academies is they often have terrible working practices for teachers because they ignore any union negotiated practices and arenot bound by the Burgandy book. They tend to employ newly qualified staff who do not realise the significance of teacher unions and accaept working somewhere that does not recognise them. However, they pay for that when things like this happen.

If it isn't an academy, your unions should be involved now both at school and local level. Most heads would have worked with unions on this months ago to negotiate how this might take place in the best interests of the school and with the co-operation of staff. Dropping it unannounced on staff the day before is appalling leadership.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: