Talk

Advanced search

Popping in to ask a question

(7 Posts)
oliviaaah Thu 08-Jan-15 16:46:30

Please may I ask, do you have directives from above with regard to discipline methods? Specifically, the use of whole class punishment for the misdemeanours of a few. This happened last year in my DSs class a lot and it has just happened again. I would like to ask that it be a policy not to use it. Is that reasonable? Feeling cross and need advice before I go in all guns blazing. This is in Primary School.

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 08-Jan-15 17:33:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oliviaaah Thu 08-Jan-15 21:48:35

Thanks for your comment Angels. The teacher is new to the school, (not to teaching) so I guess she's just asserting herself at the beginning and hopefully will loosen up a bit. Meanwhile I've got a very angry and indignant DS. I will let her know my thoughts and leave it at that.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 10-Jan-15 12:43:28

Definitely bad practice, and I would say, lazy practice.
Very unfair, but also counter-productive - alienating the ones who are behaving well - why should they behave well if they get punished anyway?

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 10-Jan-15 12:46:41

Meant to add - lazy because the assumption is that the children will assert pressure on the miscreants - ion other words doing the teacher's job for her - very unprofessional.
If every single member of the class is behaving badly hmm, has not done homework, or whatever the situation was, she should first look a the instructions she gave. If not all the class were involved, no way should this happen.

Welliesandpyjamas Sat 10-Jan-15 13:11:44

Check your school behaviour policy and also the behaviour rules given and explained to the children. If they don't match the new teacher's approach, whether through ignorance/lack of training/lack of awareness/laziness/whatever, I should think the disparity between the two should be mentioned, maybe in writing, to the Head.

oliviaaah Sat 10-Jan-15 21:11:06

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad to hear that it's generally deemed to be poor practice. That was my instinct about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now