Talk

Advanced search

Doing supply - the best way of going about it.

(17 Posts)
rennyrenoir Mon 05-Jan-15 17:16:50

I'm fed up of teaching and it's time to be brave and hand my notice in. I would have no other job to go to but we could manage without me working for 6 months-ish while I take stock of things. Once I have resigned I would be interested in doing some supply preferably only at the school I currently work at. Should I register with the local authority and then tell the member of staff who does the cover that she could ring me when supply is needed? We do have a couple of cover supervisors but there are regularly supply teachers from agencies covering lessons too.

I'm not sure how much work I'd get from this but I guess what I'm asking is whether this all sounds feasible. I'm secondary by the way. If I ask too many questions at school they'll know I'm thinking of leaving!

rollonthesummer Mon 05-Jan-15 17:20:00

Supply is a good idea and there's definitely a fair amount out there. One thing though-if you resign, would your school want you back? Mine probably wouldn't out of spite!!

rennyrenoir Mon 05-Jan-15 17:27:39

Yes rollon, I had thought about this being a factor! I just don't want to go down the route of agency supply because you could be asked to go anywhere. Better the devil you know and all that..!

MsRainbow Mon 05-Jan-15 17:28:04

I would find out if your school would employ you. A colleague of mine works part time and would love to do some supply at our school but as she has gone through the threshold the school won't employ her as it's cheaper for them to use agency staff. She doesn't want to do it through the agency because of the cut they take. She offered to work at the same rate as the school paid the agency, but that would mean her being paid less than the LA rate for a supply with her experience, and the school didn't want to set a precedent for paying below the expected rate.

ZammoMcGuire Mon 05-Jan-15 17:28:25

no one registers with the local authority these days

RinkyDinkyDoo Mon 05-Jan-15 17:30:14

Hi, I handed my resignation in at half term with nothing to go to, just couldn't stand the nonsense any longer! I had intended to try and get a TA job and told the head this! to relieve to the pressure.
She said she would like me to come back and do supply, I hadn't thought of this, and told her I would be keen to do so.
The rest of the term progressed and we had a supply in covering a teacher who was off with stress. Turns out the head approached this supply to do a days cover weekly in the spring and summer terms.I wasn't asked, even when the supply turned this down to do 3 days in another school.
I'm phoning supply agencies tomorrow to find out how much work they think I could get, not what I originally intended to do, as the suggestion was put to me about wanting me in when needed.
We'll have to see if I get a phone call from them in the near future, don't think I'll hold my breath though.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 05-Jan-15 17:32:09

Seriously?
I love the fact that all the schools I visit are different, if I was fed up with the school I was in, I can't imagine anything worse than going back to it.
Some of the schools I go to are amazing, others are much less so and the fact that I can pick and choose is a big part of my enthusiasm for teaching.
How many other schools have you taught in? It's not so scary once you get into the flow. smile
But if you are determined to put the shackles on, I'd register, tell the school and they will ring you directly if they want you to supply.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 05-Jan-15 17:32:50

' no one registers with the local authority these days'

I did think that was the case, but I wasn't sure if my knowledge was just Sussex-specific.

Mitzi50 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:41:28

I've been doing primary supply since Sep - I signed up with 2 agencies and have been offered as much work as I want. If the schools like you they will ask for you specifically if they need cover. It is so much less pressurised than what I was doing before - no planning, reports or data - I walk in at 8.15 and out at 3.45 and my evenings and weekends are my own. The downside is its less money.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 05-Jan-15 17:43:16

The money part is annoying, but the upsides are so enormous for me that I'm happy with the trade. I'll never be a class teacher again.

rennyrenoir Mon 05-Jan-15 19:49:44

Skating it's not so much the school
I am fed up with but the job and all the rubbish that's involved. It's my third school but I've been there a long time. My colleagues are fab and so are the majority of the students. I just think supply there would be easier as I am so familiar with the place and the procedures. An agency could send me to any number of extremely tough secondary schools which are on my doorstep. It's interesting because many of the supply teachers I speak to who come to my school think it's a far easier place to do supply compared with the tough academies in the nearby city (most of which are rated as good or outstanding whereas my school is RI). Make of that what you will!

FabulousFudge Mon 05-Jan-15 21:52:26

Supply is amazing! You can turn down the work if the agency offer you schools you don't want to go to and you can stipulate how far you're prepared to travel. Supply is only tricky at first until you get used to it and build your confidence. You meet loads of new people and learn lots too!

ZammoMcGuire Mon 05-Jan-15 21:54:07

i restarted doing supply after a mat leave

it IS easy but I did miss the relationships with the kids - even though I got on well with the classes. Its not the same teaching someone elses classes

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 05-Jan-15 22:06:49

Find out first if they would have you back. And I don't mean that in a mean way. Slt may find it awkward. You could also directly approach the cover manager at other local schools. I love a supply teacher that knows the school and the kids and is local. But if you are good at your job you will be able to pick and choose the school's you go to. You didn't say what your subject was, but if it's core (and especially science) they will snap your hand off.

ZammoMcGuire Mon 05-Jan-15 22:08:00

and saying they will have you back and offering you shifts might be different things, depending on how you are seen as SLT

rennyrenoir Mon 05-Jan-15 22:33:28

Thanks for the words of advice everyone. Got loads to think about!

SignoraLiviaBurlando Tue 06-Jan-15 13:12:35

Agree that variety is the great thing about supply! The risk with being in a school you know is that you can get dragged into extra stuff as they know you can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now