Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

nausea and teaching

(13 Posts)
ab444 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:28:35

I was just wondering how you have dealt with nausea/sickness whilst teaching? There have been a couple of times in the recent past where I have resorted to being sick in my classroom bin (sickness bug), as I had emailed out during the lesson for cover support but noone arrived. Also, I can feel sick but I don't always know I'm actually going to throw up until it's happening and far too late to get to the toilets!
I don't really want anyone at work knowing for a while, apart from SLT as necessary.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Littlefish Fri 02-Jan-15 17:04:56

I've never, ever been sick at work so can't help, I'm afraid.

How do you call for help if there is a behaviour/first aid problem with a child? Relying on someone to respond to an e-mail seems a bit haphazard.

Do you have a "triangle" system for calling for help? We have two sorts of triangle cards which you give to a child and instruct them to take to the school office.

The triangles have your whereabouts printed on them e.g "Mrs Littlefish's classroom" or "Main hall" or "Field".

A red triangle means urgent assistance with behaviour required.
A green triangle means urgent first aid assistance required.

The children know that they must give the triangles directly to a person and not just leave them on the Headteacher's desk in case they are out all day!

Would a system like this work in your case?

runlikeagirl Fri 02-Jan-15 17:07:15

When I was pregnant both times I told the people I the classrooms either side and would just run to the disabled toilet on our corridor. I remember one awful time when I was nearly sick in the bin as I had an awful class who I couldn't trust on their own. I luckily grabbed a passing staff member and made it just in time!

ab444 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:03:18

we have a behaviour email where we email details to if we are sending a student out. There is usually only one person manning the behaviour room which means they cannot leave it unattended unless its an emergency. This also wouldn't be the best thing to do, but would be something to resort to if necessary. I don't have a classroom next door so can't rely on another teacher keeping an eye on them. I'm new to all this, and don't want to make a massive deal of it but I really don't want to be sick in front of the kids!

Littlefish Fri 02-Jan-15 18:18:33

There must be a system which alerts another member of staff to the need for support in any classroom. Are you in primary or secondary?

Could you just ask a member of the SLT what the procedure is for asking for immediate assistance?

runlikeagirl Fri 02-Jan-15 18:26:32

In am emergency I would send a sensible child to reception with a note. You need to talk to SLT so they can establish a system.

IKYTWTLYA Fri 02-Jan-15 18:31:12

If it were me I'd tell my department, they'd be able to keep an eye out or ring for help for me as I banged on the door dashing past. (I wouldn't be able to keep it to myself anyway!)

I'd also expect that the kids would guess within 5 minutes and would actually be incredibly understanding.

Fortunately I timed the 5-11 weeks with the summer holidays last time so didn't have to negotiate this hazard. If we have #2 it might be a trickier situation.

Good luck OP

DriftingOff Fri 02-Jan-15 19:09:36

I had to take a full half-term off last time I was pregnant, due to pregnancy sickness. I refuse to even call it "morning" sickness, it was "all day and all night" sickness. I couldn't turn over in bed without being sick, never mind get out of bed, and then get to work. It's the most ill I've ever felt in my life. It wasn't the being sick that was so bad, it was the feeling sick, it was the nausea beforehand that was pretty much unbearable. Being sick was actually a relief. I've never actually been sick at work, pregnancy related or otherwise. Everyone's different, so I suppose if the nausea isn't too bad, then maybe Keep a bucket under your desk for emergencies, but try to get out to a toilet if you can (if there's support available). If the nausea is really bad though, and it's just too debilitating to stand in front of a class, then you're obviously too I'll to do your job, so you'd have to take the time off.

Egog Fri 02-Jan-15 19:13:22

I was sick in a bucket in a cupboard on teaching placement last year. Twas horrible. Listerine in the handbag, lots of wet wipes and water and the children (y5) didn't guess a thing.

SingRingPing Sat 03-Jan-15 17:50:59

my classroom was on the ground floor with a fire escape so I used to run outside and just take a moment, or I would tell people either side of me and run out. I found that discretely eating a biscuit worked for me though. I'm a SAHM now though and sickness in the pregnancy is much worse and I often wonder how I could have coped. Don't be afraid to be signed off though if it gets too bad and speak to SLT.

Philoslothy Sat 03-Jan-15 17:57:16

I had quite bad morning sickness on my last pregnancy when teaching ( this time as well).

I had a bucket in a cupboard and my classroom was quite close to the toilet.

My colleAgues also checked in on me often.

SingRingPing Sat 03-Jan-15 17:58:28

*in this

Emotional101 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:19:03

Yes! I remember one time I couldn't stop being sick (luckily children's toilets were in the classroom). I had to put a video on for the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now