Talk

Advanced search

*knock knock* Sibling at secondary parents' evening?

(8 Posts)
TeenKitten Thu 25-Dec-14 22:57:42

Sorry Miss/Sir, just intruding into your staffroom blush

My younger sister is in year 8, it's her parents evening in January. At our school, GCSEs are studied over 3 years (so y9-y11), meaning that GCSE options are chosen in y8, so parents' evening is, I guess, pretty important this year.

My dad's ill and has a hospital appointment that afternoon, and my mum will be going with him. This will probably mean that neither of them can go to my sister's parents evening. I've agreed with my parents to go instead... the only thing is, I'm in y12 at the same school. I have a couple of the same teachers as my sister as well. Would you, as a teacher, have a problem with this?

BrianButterfield Thu 25-Dec-14 23:02:24

Not if you explained the situation. Would your sister be coming with you? I have no problems taking to a year 12 as an adult if parents were unavailable as long as it was someone I could trust to be mature (which to be fair is the vast majority of my sixth form class).

Passmethecrisps Thu 25-Dec-14 23:03:02

Bless you thinking of this on Christmas day.

I would ask your parents to check in with the school in advance and see what the options are. Under the circumstances I would suspect that the head of year will meet with your parents at a mutually convenient time having spoken to all your sibling's teachers.

In my school there are several teachers in one room so there are confidentiality issues so we don't allow students in the room with parents - this may be an issue.

Some teachers may be concerned about having to deliver information to a current student and how it is shared them with parents.

Personally, I think this is a big responsibility for you and should be avoided if possible so please seek the support of your school to find a solution.

Merry Christmas and i hope your dad is ok.

TeenKitten Thu 25-Dec-14 23:13:15

Yes, my sister would be coming with me - students have to come to their own parents' evening at my school.

KaelyLanglaise Thu 25-Dec-14 23:22:11

KaelyLanglaise Thu 25-Dec-14 23:25:54

Oops, pressed to soon. No, I wouldn't have a problem with this unless I needed to discuss something like a serious behavioural issue, in which case I would like to speak to the parent. However, assuming your sister doesn't terrorise her teachers wink I would be fine talking to you smile

Alternatively, I would be happy to phone your parents or have a meeting with them another time, if they/you would prefer that.

Happy36 Fri 26-Dec-14 13:16:01

I think that's fine. Wishing all the best to you and your family, Merry Christmas (srcondary teacher).

Quitethewoodsman Sat 27-Dec-14 10:30:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now