Talk

Advanced search

PGCE - Goldsmiths or Greenwich?

(10 Posts)
iheartshoes Thu 18-Dec-14 17:16:41

I have been offered a place at both for next year. Has anyone got any experience of either uni ? Greenwich is more convenient for me location wise but Goldsmiths seemed better organised and I think are generally better regarded (from what they said anyway!)

MaraThonbar Thu 18-Dec-14 22:27:27

No experience of either course as a student but I've worked in SE London schools for a while and have found that Goldsmiths PGCE students are highly regarded when it comes to recruitment. I've been impressed by the ones that I've encountered.

I'd go for Goldsmiths, no question.

stillenacht1 Thu 18-Dec-14 23:52:04

I'm ex Goldsmiths, albeit 20 years ago. Loved it.smile

cherrypiesally Fri 19-Dec-14 11:45:52

I have worked with Goldsmiths regularly as the school professional mentor and always found their support excellent for our ITT students. Only worked once with Greenwich so can't really comment on them.

maclover Fri 19-Dec-14 14:47:31

I'm also ex Goldsmiths (+20 years ago) and also loved it.

iheartshoes Fri 19-Dec-14 16:26:04

Thanks all for your comments - think this is decision made !!! Eek !!!

phlebasconsidered Fri 19-Dec-14 19:17:10

I was IOE. Any school you get given by a London PGCE uni will invariably be miles away anyway! I had one in the West and one in the East. Both a 1.5 hour trip away.

I would go for Goldsmiths as they have an "Education" PGCE history, Greenwich less so.

VixxenPlusAllTheOtherReindeers Fri 19-Dec-14 19:49:07

Goldsmiths pgce is hard to get on to so well done. I would go goldsmiths over Greenwich but I didn't have a great experience at goldsmiths myself but probably because I didn't throw myself in

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Tue 23-Dec-14 13:59:28

phlebasconsidered

I was IOE. Any school you get given by a London PGCE uni will invariably be miles away anyway! I had one in the West and one in the East. Both a 1.5 hour trip away.

DC 1 is currently doing PGCE at KCL. They have worked very hard to get placements as close to home as possible. DC1 is currently at a school only 20 minutes walk from home and the next school is about 40 minutes away by public transport. KCL told their pgce students that they would always endeavour to place them in a school no more than 1 hours travel time from home.

blueemerald Mon 05-Jan-15 17:51:37

I was at IOE doing my pgce 2012-2013. In my tutor group of 20 only one student teacher had a trip over an hour in one of their two placements.
I had one that was a 20 min bus ride and one that was 35 mins on the train but the student teachers arranged a car share system so it was about 15 mins in the car.

As for you OP wink Goldsmiths is definitely more highly regarded, everyone I met from there while studying was enjoying the course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now